I love being a goalie. I have no desire whatsoever to skate out; people say goal is the hardest position in sports, but it seems to me that skaters have so much more to think about and process. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake, but I sure as hell never had any desire to skate out, I like the security of my clearly-marked area of the ice. Part of that, naturally, is that you're not on the bench with the rest of the team and aren't privy to the odd gamut of conversations that goes on. A few times, I've played open hockey when there have been more than two goalies, and at those times I'm on the bench once in a while. I never know what to say to anyone so usually I just stay quiet, and most of the time they're content to ignore me. I'm just a goalie, after all.
But last night I played open hockey (first time on the ice in almost 2 weeks!), and it turned out that there were 4 goalies and only 12 skaters to start with. Since the other goalie on my side started in the net, I was on the bench with the lone sub on the dark team, waiting my turn. We had an interesting conversation:
Him: Some of you goalies should skate out tonight!
Me: Heh. I've never skated out in my life.
Him: Well, there's a first time for everything.
Me: Nah... I think you guys are the crazy ones!
Him (looking at me funny): You know, that's what makes you crazy.
Oh well. I'll take my crazy love of goaltending and be quite happy thank you vurrymuch.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment