Friday, July 9, 2010

Man, I love this!!!

I love my open hockey mornings. But sometimes I get a little apprehensive about them the day before and I don't even really know why. Yesterday I was kind of feeling like that, and of course that just feeds a downward spiral because it's like "ugh what if i suck?" and then it's "oh crap. i thought about sucking. therefore i am going to suck!" and then "aaaahh stop it! no negative thoughts allowed!" And around and around she goes. But a nice little surprise chat with goalie tweep @TheGoalieGuild buoyed my spirits and I ended up rocking out in the car on the way to the rink the next morning, just generally feeling excited to get on the ice. I played pretty well too. Not great, but decent. And anytime I started to get frustrated I would just remind myself: I am out here because I LOVE DOING THIS. That kind of helped.

It also helped that I stoned my coach (who was skating out) on 3 of 4 shots. BOO YAH. I mean come on, how fair is that? He knows all my weaknesses! He even tried to shove me around in the crease a little but I had none of that. Then Goalie Husband gave him a shove on his way out of the zone for good measure. I love when it's like that- laid back and fun.

It was a short session (90 minutes) and there were 2 other goalies, but one of them left early, so I ended up getting a decent amount of ice time. Afterwards I had an interesting experience in the ladies' room. After showering in a very disgusting locker room shower with little flies coming up out of the drain (no wonder the shower "didn't take"), I decided to drag all my beautifying paraphernalia into the ladies' room rather than stay in there with the bugs and the stink. While I was in there putting my face on, a young-ish girl (maybe 15 or 16?) in track pants and skates started talking to me.

Girl: Are you coaching today or are you working?

Me: Huh? Me?

Girl: Yeah. Are you working today?

Me: I don't work here... I was just on the other side playing.

Girl: Oh! You're the goalie!!!

I thought that was kind of cute. I'll just assume that she knows I'm the goalie because she was watching through the glass. Or because she saw my name on the list up front. Not because someone said something like "oh yeah there's this chick goalie who comes on Friday mornings and she's god-awful".

Wait, what was that about confidence? Oh yeah. I has it.

2 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

I'm so glad you're blogging... :) I love reading it. All the little nuances of playing and everything around it is just so relateable.

Justin is awesome. No doubt about it.

maalivahti said...

I'm glad someone's enjoying it. I re-read posts sometimes and think, man this is really boring stuff for other people to read. And yeah Justin rocks. \m/