My snuggly fleece arm protectors got one use... and already they're being retired. What started out as a routine trip to the pro shop for some skate sharpening turned into a much more expensive endeavor than I had planned, and also got me an invite to check out a traveling women's team.
When I handed the young woman behind the counter my skates and requested a half-inch cut, she looked at them disbelievingly and asked "Are these yours?" Yes, my feet are that big. I confirmed that indeed they were, and she asked who I played for. I told her that I was currently playing in a beginners league, and she went off to find someone who was more familiar with sharpening goalie skates than she was.
During the requisite meander around the store while waiting for my skates, my husband started nosing around the rack with the chest protectors. I joined him and discovered that in addition to a few junior sized pieces of equipment, there was also an "intermediate". You got it- as in, between junior and senior. As a matter of fact there was an intermediate Large. I didn't need much prompting to take it off the hanger and fiddle with the adjustments to see if it would fit. On first glance I could tell that it was a much better quality upper body protector than the one I'm currently using. The one I have has very few adjustable straps- this one was absolutely loaded with them. After about a half hour of tweaking and tightening and some assistance from a very helpful store employee, my husband and I left the store with a brand new RBK upper body protector. Yes, it was expensive. But I think my husband and I both realized that what I'm wearing now is not adequate protection, so out came the credit card. Now I have a piece of what looks like armor and feels like it was custom fitted to my body, protecting all those vital organs and jutting-out-elbow-bones. Plus, it's neon green and black, so it looks really cool.
But in addition to walking out of the shop $200 more in debt, I left with a seed planted in my brain. Apparently while I was busy fiddling with straps and velcro closures, my husband had picked up my skates when they were finished and the gal at the counter told him about the team she plays for and asked him to mention it to me. I've heard about this team, and part of me thinks it would be a really neat experience to play for them if they'd have me, but part of me is extremely hesitant to play on a women's team. I did talk to her about it a little, and since it didn't seem like they were in need of a goalie I think I'll sit tight for a while. But she mentioned what night they practice and gave me the coach's name and told me to check out their website for more information. I might contact the coach, or I might wait until the fall and contact her before their next season gears up. If it would conflict with the league I'm in now, all bets are off, because I love this group and want to keep playing with them. But if they needed a goalie next season, and it didn't get in the way of the league I'm in now, I might consider it. Nothing says I have to play more than one season if I don't like it.
But this is how my brain works. I have this little piece of information, and it will sit and simmer on a back burner somewhere for a while, and then when I'm good and ready I'll act upon it. But I suppose it couldn't hurt to send the coach an email. Maybe they'd need a goalie to fill in now and then... you never know.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1. C/A protector - FANTASTIC. Safety first, credit card bill, second. That's the hockey way. :)
2. TERRIFIC news about the women's team. Ya never know - they may need an extra goalie just for team scrimmages or something. And you're more than battle tested.
3. Isn't it great to have an extroverted husband? :)
Post a Comment