Monday, February 11, 2008

So this is how it's supposed to fit!

Wow, I had no idea just how poorly my old chest/arm protector fit. I used the new one today during my lesson and other than a little bit of stiffness from just being new, it was absolutely perfect. I didn't even know it was there- which is I think how it's supposed to be. Not having to think about readjusting it as I went along was really nice.

Along with becoming more comfortable on the ice, I'm becoming a little more comfortable with my coach as well. I started out incredibly nervous around him, but today I actually made a little jab at him. He'd complained several times about how cold it was in the rink (it was brutally cold this morning outside, close to 0 degrees, so I guess the rink didn't adjust their heating system). Each time I laughed, because as usual he was working me so hard I had sweat dripping everywhere. When he complained about his toes getting cold I offered to switch places with him. Strangely, he declined.

It was around that time that he described the next drill to me. He'd shoot the puck towards my glove, and I was to catch it and then place it on the ice (in our imaginary circle, since he had no markers) as if setting it for a D-man. He would then skate down, pick up the puck, go around behind the net with it and come out and take a shot from the opposite side circle. He ran through all of this and I nodded my head like a good student. But as he skated away I couldn't resist.

Me: You're assuming I'll actually catch it.

Him: Yeah, well, if you don't I'm going to have to do a lot of skating. And I don't feel like skating.

Me: Well you were complaining about being cold...

Him: (silence) True.

*whack!* There went the first shot.... right past my glove. Ooops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah the ol' you joke with me, I speed one past you. Ahhh brings me right back to the days of little league baseball.