Monday, March 17, 2008

Mad as hell

I'm so mad I'm breaking my self-imposed 24 hour rule. Actually, it doesn't really apply here anyway. That rule is for when I think I had a bad game, to keep me from coming here and moping about how much I suck. On the contrary, I think I had a very good game tonight. I also got to participate in my very first shootout. Unfortunately, I lost it for us.... but that's not why I'm so mad.

There was an incident in the 3rd period that apparently no one else saw, including the ref (allegedly). The incident itself pissed me off, but the way the ref spoke to me about it is what's got me sitting here stewing at 11:38 instead of being in bed taking advantage of the early game-time and actually getting some sleep on a hockey night. Here's what happened:

The puck was off to my right, just behind the goal line, and one of our guys was on the man with the puck. There was an open man just at the top left of my crease, coming in closer. So I put my glove out and touched his chest to keep him from coming in. I may have been a little rougher than necessary. That still doesn't excuse what he did next: picked up his stick and gave me a two-handed whack right to the face. Play continued, I made a save and smothered the puck, and jumped right up and asked the ref if he'd seen it. Yes, I was using foul language. But I wasn't swearing at the ref, I want to make that clear. I was just dropping f-bombs all over the place. First he answered saying "he lost his balance". I was so livid... I said "not unless you lose your balance like this" and picked up my stick in the manner that he had. Then the ref claimed he didn't see it. Fine. I can't argue with that. But then he said "What do you care anyway, you have all that gear on?" I was so astounded I didn't even know what to say, and besides, it was obvious that I should just shut the f up at that point. I zipped my lip and got ready for the face-off.

But I'm sorry, that is just completely uncalled for. I don't care how much gear I'm wearing, you don't take a 2-handed chop at my face!!! Most of the skaters wear cages. So if someone takes a 2-hander to their face it's ok? Why do we have high-sticking penalties then? I'm just absolutely livid over this. Fortunately I was able to put it aside and concentrate on the rest of the game. There was a goal not long after that but I'd made the first save. I guess I should have had the rebound too but my point is, this didn't throw me off my game.

Afterwards, I talked to the guy who runs the league, since he happened to be there. I explained what happened, and he asked me to email him, so he could forward it to the head of the refs. Part of me wants to not bother. So what, I got pissed off by something a ref said. But part of me thinks its just preposterous for a ref to think its "ok" to do that to someone just because they're wearing alot of equipment. Maybe I should have chopped him in the nuts, and then shrugged and said "what do you care, you're wearing a cup".

Ok, maybe not. But a girl can dream while she's sitting here stewing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you e-mail the league coordinator, you may want to point out that we DID get a high sticking double-minor called for the exact same type of accidental (allegedly) infraction earlier in the game. Our guy lost his balance and as he fell forward struck the goalie in the helmet with his stick (which he had both hands on). It's definitely frustrating.

Anonymous said...

You probably should mention it, because, not only was that comment uncalled for, it does seem quied biased and you would hope that kind of attitude would not be found amoing refs.

Anonymous said...

This guy is a new ref to our league - and he should shortly be an old ref never to officiate a game in our league again - there is no room for such a cavalier attitude when it comes to the chance for injury. Email the Commish and have it recorded for the head of the refs. Even if they do keep him on, at the very least he will be spoken to about this.