At open hockey today (with a group of people I don't know very well), I stuck my foot in my mouth, skate blade and all. You'd think it would be difficult to get it through the mask, but somehow I managed. Normally when I play, I'm pretty quiet back there in Goalie Land. I'll shout "one on" or "on you" or "got time", but normally that's the extent of it. I haven't yet developed enough confidence in my ability to read plays to direct traffic and stay focused at the same time. And I definitely don't chirp at opposing players. (After the whistle is another story. You hack at my glove, I'm going to give you a piece of my mind).
Hockey is full of things that sound dirty but aren't.... with words like slot, crease, stick, wood, or phrases like "banging bodies" or "five-hole" all in common usage, most of the time people don't bat an eyelash at something that sounds distinctly obscene. I'm sure there was fair amount of snickering on the bench though, when I tried to warn my defenseman that someone was coming in on him with great speed and yelled "hard on!". Twice. I always seem to yell everything twice, I'm not sure why.
I try not to think too much when I play. It usually gets me into trouble. This time I probably could have used a little forethought. I thought maybe no one noticed... but come on, they're guys. Hearing a chick yell "hard on!" is probably pretty funny, no matter what the situation. Oh well. Hopefully they all forgot within about 5 minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The title of this blog is "This is why I keep my mouth shut" and its about "hard on"'s.
Nothing to see here. Move along, move along...
Post a Comment