Apparently, it's not just me who thinks the Vaughn 7500 / 7400's are Awesome Pads. Goalie Husband and I went to our local hockey shop recently to take a look at what they had in stock. Specifically, I was interested in seeing a pair of Bauer Supremes. Unfortunately they didn't have much in stock, and nothing in my size. Everything they had was pretty much kid size, and mostly Itech and RBK. When I first went to ice, I bought my mask and my pads at this store, so the woman there knows me. We chatted a bit about what I was looking for, and she saw me eyeballing a set of Vaughns (some other model, not the 7400s) and said "I think I know what you're looking for", and set down a book in front of me, opened to the page with the Awesome Pads. I laughed and told her those were actually the ones I'd had my eye on for a while, but there was no way I could afford them. She said the super expensive ones are the 7500s, the pro stock. But the 7400s are a step down from those and in the affordable range (affordable in terms of goalie pads anyway). We talked a bit more, and she looked to see if her rep had my size in stock (he does, just not the color I want- I'm not picky as long as the background is white. These had black backgrounds).
What I found really interesting was that she said she had a bunch of high school kids coming in and asking about them, as well as guys in rec leagues. So she'd been considering ordering a bunch from the rep, because she can get a decent discount with a certain amount of order. I told her I'd definitely be interested but didn't want to flat out say yes without trying them on, which she totally understood. She said that wouldn't be a problem at all because in my size, and the color I want (basically neutral), even if I didn't buy them she'd be able to move them.
Another thing I found interesting was having my suspicions/opinions about the quality of different brands confirmed. The very low-end Itechs I have now have been great for what I bought them for; something cheap to get me on the ice. I've beat the hell out of them, playing 3 times a week for a year and a half in them, and it's really starting to show. Certain parts of the padding are starting to break down, and some of the stitching is coming out. They're just not a very good quality pad at all. Of course, you get what you pay for. These were $300 and I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them. I told her that's what I was using and she showed me the next few models up from that but said she wouldn't even waste her money on them; and flipped them over and showed me why. Certain parts of the straps just won't last, especially as much as I play. Itech is a leader in masks. In pads... they have long way to go. I'd kind of figured that out on my own. I also figured Vaughn was a real quality brand, just from eyeballing other goalie's pads, and reading stuff online. She confirmed that as well, without me asking.
So, it looks like there might be a set of Awesome Pads in my future!!! They're pricey. But they will absolutely last me the rest of my hockey playing days, no question about it. I hope they fit, and I hope they turn out to be what I really am looking for, because starting all over again from the drawing board doesn't sound like fun. This is the last piece of the puzzle in terms of my gear. Everything else I have is very good quality stuff that will last me forever. I lucked out on my glove and blocker and got pro stock on insanely good sale. No need to replace them any time in the near or distant future. So this should hold me for a good long time.
Yay gear. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay! :D
I'm jealous
Post a Comment