Friday, January 16, 2009

The perfect wake-me-up

Sometimes its hard on a Thursday night, to get inspired to pack up all my gear, my shower stuff, my clothes to change into for work, and set my alarm clock obnoxiously early for a Friday morning, especially when its bitter, bitter cold outside. But I remind myself how glad I'll be once I'm there on the ice, awake and stopping pucks.

It was totally worth it today. This morning our usual crowd was infused with a group of guys who normally play at an outdoor rink. Due to the extreme temperatures and several of their members having "frostbite issues with their feet", they had to cancel. So we got an influx of flashy stickhandlers and fast skaters. I know the skaters aren't always thrilled with this, as it makes the benches rather crowded, but I love it when this happens. These guys make me bring my game to another level and I usually do really well when I play with/against them. But aside from that the pace of the game stays pretty high the whole time, due to their speed, and to the numbers helping to keep everyone fresh. (I know, I know, skaters... you get bored on the bench... I'm sorry I just can't help it but I love the pace of these games!)

Mornings like this are a terrific start to the weekend, even if I have to go to work afterwards. And they make me think one thing:

Damn, I love being a goalie!

No comments: