By popular demand (ok, two requests), here are the results of the homework assignment I mentioned a few weeks back. As noted, I always assumed that everyone knew what I meant when I yell my clipped directives during a game, but it was brought to my attention this weekend that perhaps that's not the case. I'm pretty sure my D knows all my phrases and sayings and what I mean, but a back-checking forward might not necessarily know exactly what I'm trying to communicate. Apparently. This concept is foreign to me. I thought everyone spoke Goalie. Since that might not be the case, GoalieHusband asked me to come up with a list of things I say on the ice and intrepretations for them, and mention them at a team meeting we had before practice one night.
So here goes. Remember, I'm sure my D knows all this. This is mostly for forwards, so we'll keep it simple. *wink*
The self-explanatory:
"Man on!" (Alternately "On you!", "One on!"): Pardon me. There is an opposing player approaching you who will likely try to remove the puck from your possession.
"On you! On you! Hard, hard, HARD!!": There is an opposing player approaching you at great speed, but I am not about to make the mistake of yelling "Hard on!" as I did once before. In a men's game.
"Time!": There is no one else near you, you may take your time deciding what you want to do with the puck. Stop and have a beer if you like.
"Little time!": Someone is approaching you, however you have a small amout of time before you get creamed.
"SCREEN!!!": You have a lovely ass but I don't need it in my face right now. MOVE.
The perhaps slightly less obvious:
"You got help!": I see that you and an opposing player are fighting for the puck along the boards, and wanted to inform you that one of your teammates is approaching and can lend you some assistance.
"Up high!": Please note that there is a player up towards the blue line who is wide open and may drift down towards the crease while I'm over here on the other side of the net.
"Back door!": YO!!! While I'm tracking the puck over on this post, there's a player camped out on the other post just waiting for a pass. (Contrary to post-game supposition on Sunday, my yelling "back door" does not mean I am 'presenting'. Just sayin'.)
"Two-One!, Three-Two!", etc.: The proportion of players crossing the blueline in comparsion to defenders skating back. Don't ever let me yell "THREE ONE!" more than once in a game. I do not like having to yell "THREE ONE!"
"HEADS UP!!!!": Perhaps this was not the most opportune time to make a line change, as the other team has the freakin puck and I am the only one out here wearing this jersey.
My on-ice communication pretty much consists of the above phrases, peppered here and there with some expletives when necessary. There's a whole other system of communication between me and my posts but that's different. No one needs to know about that except me and my posts, and I think we're doing just fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Love it. Hard on! HAHAHA!
"Back door" usually has expletives with it when I say it.
The only other one I do that I don't see here is when an opponent is in pursuit but isn't really booking it or anything. I treat it like eggs: "One on easy!" you know, as opposed to "hard".
Yeah I know you love it "hard on" hahaha.
That's a good one, I usually use "got time" for that scenario. But that's a good alternative.
Duh. I meant "little time".
I just like to think about delicious eggs.
You should have given your D a quiz before this post!! (BTW I would have gotten 100%. I am fluent in maalivahti goalie-speak).
I'm going to have to show some of my D, as they don't all speak the language.
I would add to the list,
"REVERSE" (telling the D to reverse direction or to pass the puck behind them when they're cruising behind the net)
"HARD AROUND" (send the puck up & around the boards)
"CHALLENGE" (some of them like to keep backing up, letting the forward cruise right into the slot).
Great post!
Yooper
@Yooper I guess this is why this post was so popular - it's interesting seeing what other goalies yell. I never would have thought to use "challenge" but I'm certainly going to add that one to my repetoire as we have a few D who are new to the position and tend to drift back a little far.
As for the name, thanks. I'm totally a poser. No Finnish in me whatsoever, I'm just fascinated by the country and its goalies. The language is pretty unique as well and "one of these days" maybe I'll try learning it.
"Open left wing" or "open Right wing"
To let the defense that is charging toward you know he has an open man on one of the wings. When the defense is facing the boards in a fast pace situation, he's not aware of who is skating back or peeled off for a change.
Post a Comment