Hey guys, guess what it's stream of consciousness night. Meaning, I have no unifying thread but just needed to share these few things with you all. Because I know you're clamoring to find out what's rattling around in my brain.
First up - Goalie Lexicon
Some might think being married to the coach gets you extra perks. Not really. What it really gets you is homework. After Sunday's scrimmage it became evident that not everyone (and by "everyone", I mean "forwards") understands what the heck I'm yelling out there all game long. I know, it came as a shock to me too. Not everyone speaks Goalie. So, GoalieHusband asked me to come up with a list of things I shout on the ice and what they mean, to clear up any possible uncertainty.
You'd think things like "TIME! TIME!" would be pretty obvious, but it was really eye-opening to me to see all the light bulbs go on over people's heads as I ran through the things I yell most frequently on the ice. Good call on GoalieHusband's part, because I had no idea that what made perfect sense to me in my head didn't necessarily translate in a forward's brain.
Next - The Black Sock Effect
For the most part, I'm a big ol' honey badger when it comes to what socks I wear on the ice. Or, I used to be. I'm the goalie, who cares what color I wear, right? But somewhere around the end of last QCats season I got a bug up my ass about having white socks to wear when we wore our home white jerseys. (I have lots of dark colors, but no white). It festered for a while, because I really felt stupid going out to buy socks to match my jersey. I mean, that's like a totally girl thing to do. But eventually it got the best of me and I ordered white socks. I used as my justification the fact that the Cougar(hawk)s also wear white, so I figure between those games and QCat home games I'll get lots of use out of them. I happened to tweet about buying them, and gionta182 responded that as an opposing forward, she can't wait to play me when I'm wearing white socks (she's on another team in the same league as the Cougar(hawk)s). I had no idea what she meant, until she explained; if the goalie's wearing white socks, and the puck is somewhere on her and she doesn't know it, it's a lot easier to find and jab at it than if she's wearing black socks. I sort of wrote this idea off until I noticed something- Rask wears black socks. Even when the Bruins are wearing yellow ones. So maybe there's something to this after all. Regardless, I'd already informed gionta182 that when we play her team, I'm definitely wearing the black socks, just for her.
Finally - There's No Explaining Taste (or lack of it)
A few days ago the team got an email from our former coach, with whom we are still in touch, and invite to team parties. The subject was "Attention! Front Office Mandate!" and all it contained was a link, and the words "Do it.". A link to these:
There are a lot of times I'm really thankful that I'm a goalie and not a skater, and this is definitely one of them. I'm not sure how many people are going to take him up on his directive, but I know Flipper said she would order them specifically for use in tournaments. Now that is going to be a sight.
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Would you mind sharing the results of your homework? I'd be curious to see how languages between goalies compares!
That's actually how this post started. It was going to be my list, but as I was writing it I thought that pretty much everything on it is a no-brainer and things that other goalies yell too. But sure, I'll throw it out there. :)
Just an FYI. A lot of the goalies like Rask are wearing Loose Fit Speedwick type pants, not socks. Many of them use the garter to hold up the knee pads. They use a small length of hockey sock to cover the knee pads. Then use the garter to hold the top and tape at the bottom.
Hmmm very interesting! My knee guards have three bands that wrap around and velcro to the sides, so they stay up on their own. I do wear a pair of stretchy pants under them though.
Well there are a few different reasons for it. To hide the knee pads. Different name brand than their main sponsor? It also gives the knee pad a smoother surface to rotate in the pad. Most goalies complain that the knee pads to slide down and rotate. This helps with that as well.
You wear socks AND pants? OMGHEATSTROKE
@Paul I've never had mine move around on me. I got the same brand as my pads, figuring they were made to fit them so maybe that's part of it.
@MsC I never have a problem with that. It's my upper body that overheats if I wear too much. I started wearing the stretchy pants under the knee guards because I hate having them directly on my skin. With as much as I play they're usually damp. Ick.
@MsC No I don't wear both. That is some of the pros I deal with. I like using the under armour pant. Let's the pads rotate freely.
Post a Comment