Saturday, October 6, 2012

Season of Change

Shame on me for letting the blog go "dark" for a few months. But the old adage about absence making the heart grow fonder appears to be true- at least in terms of my hockey journey. It's been several months now since the terrifying night GoalieHusband's playing days ended, and since I decided to take a little break. I think it did me a world of good. I've come back from the time off with renewed hunger, impatiently straining at time's leash to get back on the ice and in the swing of a season again. I've decided to continue my break from the Instructional League, mostly for financial reasons. We have a kitchen remodel (of necessity, not vanity) looming over our heads in the next few months, so the more pennies saved the better. As much as I will miss playing with the guys (and with guys in general), it's something I need to do right now. And as it stands, it doesn't look like I'll be hurting much for ice time anyway, with the new structure of the QCats teams. This is another reason I didn't write over the summer- I had some very mixed feelings about how this season would turn out, and was hesitant to express them. But here it is, opening night of our season, and writing seems to go hand in hand with the cycle of schlepping gear, playing games, relaxing in stuffy locker rooms with a cold beer, and long road trips on Sunday afternoons. As such I guess I ought to welcome you to the new world of the red white & blue Cats.

Over the past season or so, our two adult teams began realizing that our numbers were swelling beyond the confines of two reasonable rosters. There are also several girls' teams, the oldest being U19, and we started to see girls who "grew up" in the organization coming back from college still wanting to play. It became pretty obvious that we needed to expand, and a lot of thought and meetings and organization went into how we would do it. Somehow I ended up part of this committee. I know, I know, they really had to twist my arm. The end result is that we now have three adult teams, two of which play in a league, and the other remains a "club" team. This is the team formerly known as the "D" team, which has been my team. The "C" team will continue to play in the league they've been part of for the last few years, and our new team will play in the same league, one division down. The league designates levels by color: red, white and blue, with red being the novice level, white the middle, and blue the highest. It's taken everyone a good month or so to get the hang of using colors instead of letters, but I think we've got it now. We're calling the "D" team the "red" team even though it's not part of the league, because if it was, red would be the level it would be in. (Technically there are several white divisions in the league, designated by number. Don't ask me why they did it that way)

Are you confused yet?

Red - "my" team, the D team
White - middle team comprised of some D players who wanted a bigger challenge, and some C players who felt this new team would be a better fit for them.
Blue - the "C" team, the young fast ones. Hehe.

Lucky for us, we already had 3 goalies amongst our 2 adult teams: me, "Bacardi", and "Dina". (The "Bacardi" nickname should be self-explanatory. "Dina" on the other hand, is not the real name of this goalie, but apparently that's what a lot of the girls call her because she looks like someone on Jersey Shore. I'm going to have to take their word on that one). Dina will play most of the blue games, and Bacardi and I are going to split the white and red games between us, with both of us subbing up on the blue team if need be.

Ok, admit it, NOW you're confused. Don't worry, it took us forever to figure it out too. Because Bacardi also runs the girls' teams in the organization, she ends up with schedule conflicts a lot more frequently than I do. Guess what that means for me - more games! Yay! For instance, tonight's game, our season opener. Since I think I've bored/confused you enough with league details, I'll skip the bizarre (but sound) logic that results in our blue team playing our white team in the first game of the season. Because Bacardi is away this weekend, yours truly will be in the white net, facing Dina and all the hot-shots on the blue team. We're making a party out of it, and the red team is coming to cheer us all on. (I have informed several team members that I expect their loyalty to be towards white tonight.)  Tomorrow white is off to Delaware for another game. That's one thing about the league that is a bit of a drawback - most of the away games are quite a hike. I'm happy about this though, because it means there wasn't a mass exodus from the red team to the white team this summer; the red team still has a decent core of players and although we lost some of our best, we should still be able to compete.

It's been a little bit of a rocky summer, figuring this all out, and adding in the emotional factor of splitting up a team that has been extremely close for the last few years, and people unsure of where they will end up or what the season ultimately will look like. But I think for the most part, folks are excited about growing the organization, and realize that this inaugural season will undoubtedly have some kinks that need to be worked out, and we just have to roll with it. I'm really looking forward to being able to play some games in the league with the white team, and I'm happy I'll still get to play with my buddies on the red team. Really, I have the best of both worlds. And tonight should be very interesting. Me and hkygrl12 vs eco_panda and monx77, with lct29 & cohorts cheering us on. There is no way this is not going to be a blast.


No comments: