Thursday, October 11, 2012

A loss, a tie, and shirts vs skins

Hockey weekend started with a surprise party on Friday night for one of our own who is getting married. It was the most dressed up we've ever seen each other, and it was quite odd. The Mayor and her husband picked GoalieHusband and I up and we drove to the restaurant. We were all spiffy and felt like "real adults", going out for an evening. Fortunately, you can dress us up, but you can't make us act mature. The happy couple was surprised, and made sure to share some of their bacon-themed gifts with everyone. The bacon flavored jelly beans were NOT a hit. At all.

Saturday's game was much anticipated by all three teams. It was QC Blue vs QC White, and the Red team came out to cheer us on. I got to play the first game of the season for the White team, since Bacardi was in Rhode Island for the weekend. It was a blast. And even though we lost 5-0 (I swear one of those goals should not have counted), we played great against the Blue team. GoalieHusband was running the bench, and came into the locker room afterwards and said "I'm going to use a big word.... The score was not indicative of your play". Haha. He said "dick". It was actually a really fun game, in spite of the score. I made a few pretty decent saves, and my glove made a few saves on its own. Nice to see it's back for the season. Afterwards we all hung out for quite a while- I was pretty shocked when we left the rink and the clock read 1:00 a.m.

But two hockey related events aren't enough for one weekend, and we got up the next day to transfer the smelly gear from our car to Gionta182's and head south. To Delaware. It was a long rainy drive, but at least we got to listen to decent music. Gionta182 and GoalieHusband and I don't have the exact same taste in music, but it's a lot more similar than the general locker room population it seems. I'm not sure how the Golden Girls theme song became standard Blue team locker room pre-game fare, but there you go. Different strokes for different folks. Wait, that's a whole other TV show.

We played a pretty good game, but it was obvious about halfway through the 2nd period that we were pretty gassed. Our second game of the season, coming back to back after our first game, which was against our higher level sister team, had left most of us with not a whole lot in the tank. Except apparently for @pinballkillsyou, who hadn't played the previous game, but was skating with a pretty decent hangover, and managed a hat-trick. (Or two goals... depending on which score sheet you go by: what they called on the ice, or what they actually wrote down. #beerleaugeprobs) Even Gionta182 was somewhat subdued, even though she hadn't played the night before either. She chalked it up to getting the feel of the league, but we all know what the problem was: the pink tape on her stick. Breast cancer awareness is a great cause, but there was more than one double-take when we saw her taping her stick up in the locker room. She didn't get the nickname "#&(*)@!" for nothing.

That game ended in a 4-4 tie, which felt (at least to me) more like a loss. We were up 3-0 at one point, but they came back to tie it, and even though we scored a go-ahead goal, they pulled their goalie and tied it up again with about 30 seconds left. I played ok but I should have had that last goal, and 1 or 2 others that were screwed up bounces. Stuff isn't bouncing off my stick blade anymore, but in the last two games weird bounces off my blocker have gone in. Must examine this phenomenon. Practice would be a good place to do that, which leads me to.....

Last night. I learned a pretty valuable lesson too: one must eat properly on practice days. A day of very light consumption topped off by a Celeste microwave pizza and a bunch of BBQ potato chips does not provide much in the way of energy for practice. I ended up swooning in the crease and sat out a good 10 min of practice, stripped down to my shirt while my body righted itself and got its bearings. Fortunately I was recovered enough to participate in the Shirts vs Skins Scrimmage.


Yes, shirts vs skins. I certainly never expected to play a game of shirts vs skins in hockey, much less in women's hockey, but there we were at the end of practice, scrimmaging with the Blue team. After splitting up the players, GoalieHusband (or maybe someone else?) declared that one team keep their jerseys on and the other remove theirs. It was pretty hysterical. I was on the jersey-sporting side, but I yelled down to the other goalie that she had to take her jersey off too. She played the rest of the scrimmage in her chest protector. I was actually standing there in my crease just laughing, watching people skate around in various stages of undress. (Some of our skaters don't wear shirts under their chest protectors).

I'm off this weekend, as Bacardi is back and taking both White games this week. Next weekend we're both in the net; a Red and White game for each of us. I think. This scheduling thing is a little difficult to get used to, especially for someone like me who likes to have everything defined and mapped out. We've managed to split up all the games for this month and will deal with next month as it gets closer. I guess that's a pretty good compromise. So, no hockey for me this weekend. At least, not unless we end up at the rink anyway to cheer on the White team...

No comments: