Sunday, November 11, 2012

Back in the 21st century

I was one of those people all excited about that new TV show "Revolution". You know, the one where all the lights go out and there's no more electricity? Being somewhat of an apocalyptic-fiction nut, I'm familiar with the "electro-magnetic pulse" precursor to the Endtimes, and was really looking forward to seeing the series. Nevermind that I completely forgot about it and haven't seen a single episode- I certainly didn't expect to be living it. But for the last 13 days, including a nor'easter and sub-freezing temperatures, I found myself wondering if I maybe should have made a better effort to watch that show. Or to at least prepare our household for an extended lack of power. We have no fireplace, and our range is electric, not gas, so when the power goes out, we have exactly zero options available to us for heat. (Ha. Ok, maybe not zero. Wink wink nudge nudge). We were however extremely lucky to have friends with either woodburning stoves or actual working electricity, who housed our sorry asses on and off for the last two weeks. We spent the first few days at home, but once the temperature inside hit 41* we grabbed the cats and headed for my parents' house. 

We are so, so, lucky. And during those few days when I really was losing it and having breakdowns over the slightest things, I was trying so very hard to remember that. We may not have had power, but we had a house that was still standing, and without any damage at all. Neither of our cars were crushed by trees either, as we witnessed just down the street, and played itself out all over our area. And while we were sorely inconvenienced for two weeks, here we are back in our house. Not like some folks, who won't be able to go back for 6-8 months. And now that I'm back into my more normal routine, I am going to find a way to help out others. But that really knocked me for quite a loop. I've never heard wind like that in my life. Ever. And that was only a category 1. But after last year's "Snowtober" storm (when we were out for a mere 6 days), and the myriad powerful storms we've seen since then, I think it's a fair bet to say this is going to be the new normal for a while. 

Lest this post descend into politics, let me get to the hockey. Ah, that's right, there really hasn't been any for the last two weeks. We had a game scheduled for Sunday the 28th (the day before the storm), but the wind was already picking up and a lot of rain was expected, so since the rink is right on the water, it was called off pre-emptively. (PS - that rink has since been destroyed). There was practice a few days later, but by then, getting gas was a 2-4 hour endeavor, and we didn't want to drive the 50 miles round trip, not knowing when we would next  be able to fill up. (We also both have quite a commute to our respective jobs). The one glimmer was the game down in Delaware. The white team had a game scheduled in New-ark the Saturday after the storm, and although I had misgivings about making the trip given the circumstances, I think it was what we all needed. Most of us were without power, one teammate had lost both the cars in her driveway, and people in general needed something "normal" after a week of insanity. Those of us without power booked rooms at a hotel and had a night of absolute luxury. (Truly, the ability to go to the bathroom with the light on should never be underestimated).  We played a very well matched game and ended in a 1-1 tie. My sister and her family came to watch, which was awesome, because they also brought me a "no power care package". Including a card drawn by my niece, featuring a bird on power lines, and rows of light bulbs. Yeah, it made me cry. You wanna make something of it? 

There was a practice scheduled for several days later but, oh hey, Nature wasn't done with us yet. Nor'easter time! It didn't drop as much snow on us as was predicted, but what did fall was very slippery, so practice was cancelled. (Yes, you can tell we don't live in Buffalo). And there were no games on the schedule for this weekend, so you can bet I'm raring to get back on the ice this week. To be honest, my mind wasn't anywhere near the rink these past two weeks, though the game in Delaware did turn out to be a welcome distraction. Now that life is getting back to normal, I'm looking forward to practice and games, and games, and clinics, and practice, etc. At least now I know I'll be able to wash all that stinky hockey laundry without a problem. 

No comments: