Monday, May 6, 2013

Tales from the parking lot

I needed to get out of the office for a bit, so here I am in my car, chilling in the spring air. I expect this to last approximately 3 minutes before the pollen chases me back inside.

As you probably could have guessed by the lack of posts, the tournament didn't go too well. We won our second game by a landslide, beating the other "sacrificial lamb" team 10-0. Our final game was against a very tough opponent and it was a great game, in spite of the fact that we lost. There's a lot to be said for three periods of good hard battle, that is also not nasty. Just good old hockey, no b.s. And it was a much more respectable score as well: 4-2. This meant no game on Sunday, which was a major bummer, but we made the most of being in vacation land.

Now I'm back in the real world, doing the corporate grind again. The less said about work, though, the better. Today I'm patting myself on the back a little, after finishing Phase One of UGT 3.0. I went the whole month without missing any workouts due to slacking, and I am really proud of that. Seriously, that is a huge accomplishment for me, the Queen of Slack. I did miss a few though, two because of the tournament and one because I w ole up feeling like complete ass one day and decided it would be smarter to give my body the rest. Not quite my goal of doing all of them, but much, much better than I have been historically . Tomorrow I start Phase Two. I'm looking forward to it but I'm also a little nervous. There are more exercises in these workouts that involve the cable columns, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little intimidated going over there. The cable columns seem to be Meathead Territory, and my toe-shoe-wearing, unconventional-exercise-doing self doesn't really fit in. But who cares right? I'm there for me. And as much as I worry about what people think about me, I'm pretty sure they're a lot busier looking at themselves in the mirrors. At least that's what I tell myself. That said, I will definitely retreat to the relative safety of the more female dominated "ab area" to do anything remotely resembling a glute bridge. Every time I do those I think of the guy in this cartoon*:


* This is from a great poster The Oatmeal did... unfortunately the link to the full comic doesn't seem to work, so in the interest of full credit, it's on this page 

2 comments:

Square said...

Bummer you guys didn't have the same success you did before. Hopefully the tougher skill level still lent itself to it's own rewards.

maalivahti said...

Thanks. Yes, it does challenge me to play against higher skilled players. I usually rise to the occasion. But sometimes... there's just no way I'm rising that high. See: getting beat 10-2 LOL