Sunday, October 13, 2013

Game 1 of ???

If nothing else, it's going to be an interesting season. Oh wait. We're the Quarry Cats. It's ALWAYS an interesting season! For me though, it will be a little challenging and I have very mixed feelings. My partner, Bacardi, is unable to commit to the season this year because of some major life stuff going on. She's devastated, as I would be, but she just can't do it this year. The teams have conferred and we think we can keep her involved, playing whatever games she is able to, and I will cover the rest. There are only a few times in the season where it would be physically impossible for me to play both the Red and White game that weekend. But between Bacardi possibly being able to play, and a handful of other goalies (heeeey #goalieharem) we can ask, it should be just fine. Nobody wanted to just go out and get another goalie to take her place. That's not how we roll. And that is what makes this team so awesome. So what does that mean for me? Well, I am in the strange position of looking forward to the opportunity to play lots of games, but at the same time feeling terrible for my buddy. We are keeping in touch though, and I hope she doesn't hesitate to jump in when she can.

So, my very busy season started last night. The White team traveled to face off against the Hawks. Last season we beat them in the regular season (I got a shutout in fact), only to take them too lightly in the playoffs and lose to them in the semi-final. As a result I was looking to the game for a bit of personal redemption. It was that loss that had prompted me to bust my ass training all summer, and I was hoping to make a very good showing. Unfortunately I disappointed myself and, I feel, my team. I know that everyone was busy blaming themselves, and not me, but we tied 4-4 and two of those goals were pretty weak, so I am frustrated with myself. What was all that training for if I'm going to give up goals like that? I'm trying to be patient with myself- it's only the first game of the season.

There were several high points though. I made lots of good saves, and our two rookies each got a goal. One is a teammate from the Red team last season who tried out for White this summer and made it. When she scored a beautiful goal with a shot over the other goalie's shoulder and into the top of the netting, I whooped and hollered with the rest of the team. The other was a girl who had the unusual distinction of earning her nickname at the very first game. Before it, in fact. Her name is Gabby, but she will be forever known as "Pete" now. We already had a Gabbie on the team, and were trying to figure out how to make the distinction. "Old Gabbie" was immediately rejected. "Classic Gabbie", "Vintage Gabbie" and "Pre-existing Gabbie" were floated but when new-Gabby said "You can call me anything you want. You can call me Pete for all I care," that was the end of that. When Coach (i.e. GoalieHusband) came in to read off the lines, and got to her, everyone interrupted him and said "No, her name is Pete!". He paused, confused, and said to her "P-e-a? Or just 'P'?" We all giggled and yelled "No, PETE"! He shrugged, crossed something out on his pad and said "Ok then. Pete it is." So, naturally, when she scored, everyone went nuts and yelled "Peeeeeeeete!"

All teams are off today. Blue played last night as well and won, 7-2, with only 8 skaters. Monx77 netted one after a long and frustrating season off due to injury, which only made that victory sweeter. Next weekend the double-duty starts for me. Red on Saturday and White on Sunday. But before that, practice on Wednesday. A dry glove? What is that?


No comments: