Finally, after five days off, I got to play today. Unfortunately, I didn't approach this morning's open hockey session with my usual gusto, though I did learn something important. When team mates visit Toronto, they bring back a big box of Tim Horton's doughnuts. Ok... that's not what I really meant, but it's pretty important.
As I mentioned in my last post, I'd just received a few goalie magazines in the mail, which kept my brain in the net this week if not my body. I'm not sure why, but I got two issues of The Goalie News within a few days of each other; one of which is the current issue (featuring Chris Mason) and the other the issue that came out right after the draft (featuring J.S. Giguere). I'm not sure why I didn't get the draft issue when it came out, but the important thing is that I got it. Because as much as I loved the feature article on Giggy (who seems like a really all-around great guy in addition to being a force in net), the technical article on lateral movement made a light bulb go off in my brain.
When I took that lesson with Goalie Coach Dude, we concentrated on very basic things like t-pushes and shuffles; both of which are used for moving laterally while standing. But this article focused on a few different techniques for lateral movement while you're already down in your butterfly. And it hit me suddenly- I have no idea how I move laterally, if at all, while I'm down on the ice. I decided today would be a good time to pay attention to that, at the very least, before trying to implement the things the article talked about.
And whaddya know... I counted at least three goals that got past me because I actually don't move laterally while in the down position. I kind of dive or throw my leg out as far as I can. I think that comes from learning on roller first; where you really can't slide laterally on your pads. This opens up a whole new level of the game for me, but I feel like I need to take it slow. I think I need to practice these maneuvers on my own first, before trying to use them in a game. I tried a few times today and couldn't get enough edge on my skate to push off, or enough power in my legs. I'm not sure which, but I'll figure it out.
I'm not sure there could be anything more boring to a non-goalie-freak than pondering the differences and benefits of knee shuffles, butterfly slides and (my personal immature favorite) backside pushes. But my mind has been mulling over them for days, and I actually feel kind of dumb for not realizing this sooner. But I'll just blame the roller. That sounds good, right? As I learned firsthand after going back to roller after several games of ice, you just don't slide on concrete. Not even a little bit.
By the way, the Hawks' first playoff game of the summer season is tomorrow night. WOOO HOOO. I'm glad I got the cobwebs out this morning. Bring it on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment