Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Summer Season Game 8 - Meh

We won tonight, our last "regular season" game, by a score of 11-6. I continue to be perplexed by how I can have that many goals against and people still say I had a good game. People on the other team, even. One of whom stopped me in the hall after everyone had changed and was leaving the rink, and congratulated me on a great game. Hmmmm... that made me feel great, as did some of the saves I made, but six goals? Come on. That's a lot even by our league's standards.

My self-assessment of the goals is that most of them were decent ones. Two were pretty bad... the first one the worst. I went out to play the puck, and I reached it, and got it on my stick (hey so far a lot better than usual!!!) and instead of winging it back around behind the net, pushed it off to the boards for a teammate coming down the wing, and it got snagged by an opponent who tossed it right into the empty net. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When will I learn??? Another was in the second period, when one of our smaller defensemen was suddenly sprawled on the ice, underneath a much larger opposing forward. In the split second that I delayed following the puck because I thought he was hurt, the shooter was able to set up a shot before I got square to him and he had his pick of the net.

I have to figure out a way to keep myself from panicking the minute the puck gets near me and I have to play it. Because it's really costing my team and after 2 seasons (and countless seasons watched on TV) you'd think I'd have a clue where to throw the damn thing. I think I'm going to go to a notoriously empty open hockey session this week and have Goalie Husband and another of our teammates work with me on that. They offered... I ought to take the opportunity. I'll hate it, but it will help. Heck, I can't do much worse!

No comments: