If you know me personally, or have been reading this blog, you pretty much know my viewpoint on gender in regards to hockey. As far as I’m concerned, when you’re on the ice, you have no gender. So much so that a former team-mate, who is now a pretty good off-ice friend, once told me “You’re not a woman. You’re ‘Goalie’.” That’s absolutely fine with me.
It is, however, no big secret that I’m a chick. And as much as I’m one of the guys most of the time, there are times when I just can’t help being a girl, and make no apologies for it. Now, I have never been one of those eternally irritating “puck bunny” female fans, but the fact remains that yes, some hockey players are rather attractive (see: Kari Lehtonen). Just as I’m sure some baseball players and lacrosse players and curling, um, players (?) are. I generally don’t make a habit of going on about it (except in privacy with my best friend, or completely in good fun around my husband). So I’m not sure how, but somehow I seem to have ended up with some kind of reputation. I give you two recent conversations as evidence.
Part the First
I’m not sure why, but my husband and I subjected ourselves to watching the last Ranger/Devil game in enemy territory- i.e., at a Devils fan’s house. Naturally the banter was flying all night. Especially between me and the previously mentioned former team-mate; for some reason we love to push each other’s buttons. At one point he gave me a what-if scenario, and asked honestly what would I rather do, have a full hour one on one personal instruction with Marty, or have a chance to shake hands and say hi to a few Rangers. Naturally, I chose the latter, and explained that as much as Marty is an incredible goalie, he doesn’t make a good study technique-wise. (Truth be told, I would jump at the chance because I’m sure I could learn a thing or two hundred from him, but as I mentioned, pushing buttons is really what it’s all about here).
Fast forward to after the game, when we were watching the coverage of the other series being played, and a particularly impressive (to me) save by one Carey Price made the highlight reel. Now, Price has quickly become one of my favorite goalies to watch. For some reason its very easy for me to see what he’s doing right in order to make the saves he makes. He’s also incredibly fluid and confident. So, without even thinking about how it sounded, I blurted out “Wow. I’d love to have a one on one with him!” Reactions in the room ranged from my husband rolling his eyes and pretending to look hurt, to my buddy telling me “that’s gross”, to my buddy’s girlfriend bursting out laughing and calling me a pedophile.
Part the Second
Again, it’s Price getting me in trouble. I give you the transcript of a text message between fellow goalie and Bruins fan friend this morning.
Him: My boys are one loss away from being out of it.
Me: Sorry, that stinks. Honestly I’m for the habs though. Price – wow.
Him: Yeah yeah yeah, I know, you like ‘em young.
Okayyy... Is this kid some Adonis or something? I’ve honestly never seen his face. It’s just his technique I’m totally enamored with, I swear. Besides, he may be younger than Kari, but there’s no way he’s cuter. Just not possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Curling hotness: I give you, the Johnson sisters - http://images.sportsline.com/images/spin/torino-full-curling.jpg
Kari Central thanks you for your opinion ;-)
Price didn't look so good tonight! Of course, there weren't too many Habs fans in the Boston bar where I watched the game.
Post a Comment