Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Long way to go for a victory- but worth it!

Remember last summer, when I posted this? One year later and even more firmly entrenched in the determination to play, I jumped at the chance when Goalie Husband offered to drive back from our vacation solely so I could play in our league game this week, only to turn around the next day and drive back to the cabin on the sea where we're spending our week with family. Ultimate kudos to Goalie Husband for this, as he's been on extremely long term IR while his ACL reconstruction heals, and I know it is difficult for him to watch games and wish he was out there defending the team's net along with me. But, since he offered... I could hardly refuse.



So, yesterday we left the sand and surf behind and many hours later were at the opposite end of the spectrum, a frozen sheet of ice in front of us instead of an endless ocean of rolling waves. I am forever greatful. Part of the reason I wanted so badly to play was a little personal competition I have with the goalie on the other team- completely friendly, but a competition nonetheless.



To be perfectly frank, I wasn't sure after the first two games if our team would ever gel. I just got (and still slightly do get) a sense of something being somewhat "off" in terms of all the personalities meshing. But maybe it's just me. I was pleasantly surprised though when we played a much more cohesive game than our last two have been, and I include myself in that. I actually came out of the net to get a puck on a power play and *gasp* passed it to my team-mate who was coming back, hopefully helping out the team by saving him a few seconds from having to chase it down behind the goal line.



Other than that, I had a decent game. The first goal was a groaner, as I went across for a pass, got stuck on the outside edge of my skate and stumbled as I tried to come back across and fell on my butt. I wasn't happy with the second goal either, but the third was absolutely impossible to stop, considering it was even more impossible to see. The fourth was completely bogus- pinging off the corner of the crossbar and post and coming back out without crossing the goal line, but since there's no video review in instructional leagues, no amount of arguing from our side was going to change the refs' minds. Fortunately we went ahead on an ensuing power play and managed to stave off a sustained attack in the final minutes when the other team pulled their goalie. I think I had more work in those last 3 minutes than in the whole third period, but it was exhilerating. And that's not to fault the team- the opponents came on very strong and with an extra attacker came close several times.



Relaxing afterwards with a few friends and a few brews was a good way to end the night (or, technically, start the day, given the time) but it was a tad subdued since the opposing goalie was one of the gang, and was in no mood to celebrate being beaten, having had a rough game to boot. As he said though, I'm sure our paths will cross again this season... in the playoffs. And I say bring it on.

3 comments:

Michie said...

Congrats on the win - glad the drive was worth it!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have yet had a complete game, but we're only three games in, so there is hope yet.

As for being so busy at the end of the game, we wanted to give you the Lunqvist experience in the gold medal game.

You're welcome! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the drive was worth it since we pulled out the win. One of these weeks we'll avoid a 3rd period letdown. I'm not sure how many times we have to blow a lead before that sinks in...