Sunday, July 13, 2008

So Jealouse...

Remember back in May, when I played open hockey and ended up in the middle of a college game? And that goalie who I called Kid With Awesome Pads was there? Well, the college contingent was out in full force again today, including said Kid. Actually, today it wasn't as intense as that other time. I'd say it was about a 60/40 mix of college kids to random adults.

Anyway.... Kid With Awesome Pads was there again, and I found myself in awe of his skill again. When I go to pro games I love to park my butt behind the goalie during warm-up and just absorb as much as I can. I get that same feeling from watching this kid. Now, of course I'm not saying he's pro level. Obviously if he was he wouldn't be playing dopey open hockey. (Or maybe he would... who knows. I have no idea what school he goes to but I might have a way to find out). But he's also the only pure butterfly goalie I've seen at any of these open sessions, who is as good at it as he is. He's so crisp and it's obvious it's all muscle memory. With my lessons, and some of the reading I've been doing, I'm learning the subtle differences of butterfly goaltending vs a more hybrid style, which is becoming more prevalent these days. Of course, open hockey is a totally different animal, because you get guys of all ages and skill levels in there- some old-timers who learned their art 30 years ago, some people who (like me until recently) are self-taught, etc. So it's been rare in my experience to see someone so technically by-the-book, and so good at it, and make it look so effortless. It really honestly is a thing of beauty to watch. And then I get all cranky and jealous.

However, on the positive side, I made a save today that I don't think I would have made just two weeks ago. I'm working on tightening up my blocking butterfly, and today was the first time I made this particular kind of save while consciously thinking about it and not having it just be luck. Short description: Play was off to the top right corner of my crease. Puck got passed to wide open man on top left corner of the crease (a few feet back). I read the pass and managed to get over quick enough to go down and block it (and also managed to decipher in that split second that he was close enough that I could use this technique without worrying about him putting it over my shoulder), and I kept my elbows tucked and tight to my body and the puck bounced off my arm. Two weeks ago, that would have found a sloppy hole between my elbow and my torso and gone right through me. So, I'm really happy that I was a) able to read the situation so well, b) get there in time, and c) get there in time in the right position. I hope I can keep doing that, because I definitely felt something "click" in that situation.

And last but not least... Bench Chatter of the Day.

I was at the bench waiting for my turn to go back out on the ice, and when I do that I don't actually sit on the bench, but wait off to the side, leaning on the boards. I always feel like I'm in the way of players coming on and off the ice. A guy ended his shift and plopped down on the bench and said "Whew! Damn that hot sauce!"

Player next to him: What?

Hot Sauce: I shouldn't have had hot sauce on that sandwich. Wheeeew!

A few seconds go by....

Hot Sauce: Hey, goalie. There's room here on the bench you know.

Me: Oh that's ok, thanks but I always get in the way.

Hot Sauce: Aw come on, do I smell that bad?

Me (laughing): No... I just take up too much room.

Hot Sauce: You know, I heard that all this sweat and... what, pheromones? ... drives the ladies crazy.

Me (grinning): Why do you think I'd rather play with guys?

At that point a guy who had just flubbed a pass came off the ice.

Hot Sauce: You picked the right time to come off, man.

Flubber (out of breath): Fuck me...

Hot Sauce: Hey! Watch your language! There's a fuckin' lady over here!

Me: Hey I don't give a fuck.

Ahhh, the things I miss out on by not being on the bench. Though, I'd much rather miss stuff like that if I can also miss this...

Guy halfway down bench not looking so good: Hey goalie.... can you push that garbage can down here by me? Just in case I throw up...

Ugh. Dude. If you're that sick don't play. For chrissakes it's just open hockey. Yuck. Fortunately I got on the ice not long after that, but he didn't look so hot on the ice, either.

And by the way... that is not a typo in the subject line. If you don't get it, make sure your sound is on and click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL -I forgot about that dramatic reading of an anit-love pledge! Thanks for making me laugh again!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Wills. I had to stop halfway through rather than crack up at work.

Oh, and given that Kathmandu once was in such bad shape that he was sweating out alcohol, maybe the guy needed the trash to relieve himself of the night before/morning of's imbibing enjoyments?