My lack of confidence in myself and my worry about what other people are thinking about me (read: narcissism) surfaced again this week when I filled in for a rival team in the instructional league. I got the call in the evening, and when I discovered who the team was that I'd be playing for, I got nervous. It was none other than the very same team who beat us in OT for the championship last season. More recently, this team beat us this season by a score of 6-4. So naturally, I figured as soon as they heard who their goalie would be, they'd all be thinking "Oh great. We've got her?!" I tried to tell myself that most of them wouldn't even know who I was, and the others probably couldn't tell you what the score was in the last game they played against me. Only goalies keep track of that stuff. (Well... goalies, and stat-mongers.)
And of course, I needn't have worried. Two of the guys on the team work at the rink and know me from our games and because I am there all the time. I got positive reactions from each of them when they saw me amble over to the rink from the "womens locker room". One said "Oh you're playing for us tonight? Cool, we finally got a good goalie." That, and chatting with some of the other players, put me in a much less nervous frame of mind. I went out and played a great game (for all but the last 2 minutes, when due to our 8 goal lead, all of us kind of lost focus), and the team was happy with me.
But really.... why did my first sub experience have to be for them?! Figures!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You should really stop being surprised when you play well, even if it's for our current arch-rivals. As for stats, I have mine for every season we've played. It helps me to push myself to play smarter and do more on the ice instead of just running my mouth on the bench.
It had to be for ..THEM. ugh. Well, lets hope having such a great goalie behind them will give them a sense of false confidence in the championship game - and get BEAT. Grrr.
Post a Comment