I have no games this coming weekend, and nothing next week until Friday. I'm thinking this is a pretty good thing, after my marathon of hockey crammed into 72 hours this past weekend. I had three games scheduled; a QCat game on Saturday and Sunday, and then a Cougar(hawk)s game Monday night.
The QCat games were against the same opponent; a home-and-home. The first one was at home,and in all honesty was one the whole team would rather forget. We lost by a score of 2-0 but more than that, we played horribly. It was the first game for most of us since the holiday break and boy did it show. It was pretty awful. In fact I've blocked out the goals and can't even remember how they were scored. Probably much better that way.
We headed out to their rink the next night for a rematch, determined to pick up a win. Coach @ramad451 (aka Coach Sparkle) gave a pre-game pep talk, telling us all to just forget the previous game and start fresh, and to remember that we win and lose as a team, and no one person is responsible for any outcome. (People had begun to start taking blame personally for things, and that's never good.). It worked- we went out and played a very sound game, and it was a lot of fun to play because we were so evenly matched with our opponent. So evenly matched in fact, that we ended up with a 1-1 tie. We were all really hoping for an overtime or shootout, but their goalie had pulled something on the last play of the game and wasn't in the best shape, so we just called it. A post-game gathering at the nearby Houlihan's was a perfect cap to the evening.
But what could be better than two nights of hockey in a row? Ding ding ding, you got it, three nights of hockey! The Cougars are still throwing around possible new team names, and the combination of Cougars and Hawks that resulted in "Cawks" was the front runner until Monday. (Actually, in our silliness at Houlihans, @lct29 and @hkygrl12 and I thought "Wicked Cawks" would be even more awesome.) But a teammate who until recently I only knew as "the defenseman with the glasses who pairs up with orange socks guy" offered an alternative. It's so obvious it escaped us. The Cougar Hawks. Thank you, Urban Dictionary dot com. I don't know if there will actually be a name change, but I think that is pretty fantastic.
And the game itself was pretty damn fantastic as well. Another evenly matched affair, lots of play in both ends, and from what I could tell, everyone really enjoying themselves on the ice and on the bench. And I think I probably had one of my best games ever. It's too bad it ended in a 1-0 loss, but I am pretty proud of how I played. And how I felt. It's all coming together now, the confidence is back, there's even a little bit of swagger poking through. I felt unstoppable out there. And I almost was. Almost. The one goal I allowed was a wierd scramble after a first and second save; I'm pretty sure I had it frozen, but the ref didn't blow the whistle and I think somehow one of my own teammates got it away from me. I don't really know what happened, as I was down on the ice in a forest of legs and skates and sticks, and suddenly I didn't have the puck anymore and it was headed straight to a wide open opponent. Argh. Chalking that one up to a collective brain fart. Other than that, we played great. We had a few breakaways, and it was great to see Senator48 with one. I know he's been feeling very much like I have in terms of not being able to contribute much to the team. So when he went flying up the ice and dished it off at the last second to another guy, I had a big grin on my face. Unfortunately it didn't result in a goal, but you can tell from the way things are going that this is a solid team. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the season.
I didn't count shots in that game, but I'd estimate about 40. So when I came off the ice I was pretty exhausted, from that game and also from the cumulative effect of the two before that. I walked into the designated women's locker room, really looking forward to a nice cold beer, and saw that Gionta182 was there getting ready for her game, which was next on the schedule. I was barely three steps into the locker room before she told me her goalie was sick and asked if I could play. I was already exhausted but what was I going to do? Leave them goalie-less while I sat outside and drank beer and ate cupcakes? Absolutely not an option. (If it had been a bunch of strangers, I don't think I'd have agreed. But I couldn't do that to my buddy). I consented, but warned her that I didn't think I'd be much good, this being the 4th game in 3 days.
When we do tournaments, 4 games in 3 days is nothing. But when we do tournaments, we also have a few hours in between games to relax and recharge. I gobbled a couple of Starburst for the sugar, refilled my water bottle, and was back out on the ice. At first it seemed like it would be just fine; there was an early flurry of shots on which I made some really good saves, including a save on a shot on a rebound off my forehead. But that's where it ended. I just had absolutely nothing left in me. At all. I've never been that tired on the ice. The first period wasn't too bad (2-2 at the end) but after that everything unravelled. To be fair, the team didn't play very well in front of me either, by their own admission. But after standing on my head in a 1-0 game, to allow 11 goals (ouch, yes I said 11) was like a hockey bitchslap. We even had the same refs we had my game right before it. They must have wondered where the hell the Jekyll & Hyde routine came from. I felt absolutely awful, and apologized to everyone. I'd say about half of the goals were on me due to complete exhaustion and not moving as quickly as I usually do, or being off in my angle slightly, but the other half were back-doors, or screens, or just bad coverage. So I'm trying really hard not to take the double-digit to heart. We all decided that game didn't count against my save percentage, since it wasn't my actual team. I can live with that.
GoalieHusband and I went to the diner afterwards with Gionta182 and other Cougar(hawk) who had stuck around for the second game. It was after 2a.m. by the time we left, which put us at home at 2:45. Yesterday was pretty rough for both of us, and I think the only reason we managed to stay awake for the Ranger game last night was because of the pure awesomeness of the game itself (and mostly the awesomeness of the goalies. Savegasms everywhere!).
Practice tonight.... I'm tired just thinking about it. But I don't care, because everything is awesome right now. Yay hockey. <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Had that happen a couple of years ago. Very last minute sub for a novice team and then the goalie for the game after that didnt show as anticipated, so they asked me to stay for the second one. Was En Fuego for the first game and they're all, "who are you? Where did you come from? Can you stay forever?" The second one, I just bonked HARD and let in 13 goals. Needless to say, never got asked back.... LOL
-MsC
Post a Comment