I neglected to write about any games last week mostly because I was busy sulking about them. There were three, a loss and two ties. The first game was last Friday night, the first of the Quarry Cats' two final home games, and we played a team that is more of a C/D mix than a true D team. We lost 5-2 and that was pretty darn good for the competition we were up against. My post-game locker room expletive-filled rant about one particular ref notwithstanding, it actually wasn't too bad morale-wise. We all knew we played decently against a much better team.
The next game was a tie, and that one actually felt more like a loss than the one before it. We were up 4-2 and with about 3 minutes to go the other team scored not once, but twice, to tie the game. We asked the refs for a shootout, and they gave us what seems to be the rink standard: a 5-man shootout. (Not sure what's up with that). Unfortunately, although I turned away the first 3 shooters, the next two found their mark, and we had two goals out of 3 as well. The refs wouldn't give us any more shooters so we ended in a tie. Not sure what the point of the shootout is then... but ok. Everyone (myself included) was kind of ticked at letting that one get away.
We had Sunday off and then on Monday night the Cougar(hawk)s were back in action for another matinee. (For my new readers, in our world, "matinee" means basically "any time before 9 pm") I don't feel I played my best game, even though two goals were complete screens. I'm supposed to have those anyway, right? Have to learn to find the puck no matter where it is, etc, etc. Fortunately we managed to tie that one up in the last few minutes, in mirror image to the QCat game two nights before; we were down 4-2 and tied it 4-4. UNfortunately, for whatever reason the refs didn't see fit to give us a shootout. Both I and the other goalie stayed in our nets at the final buzzer, and teams milled about waiting for a shootout, but one ref skated to the benches and said "That's it, you're done", much to everyone's chagrin. I can't say for sure but it may have something to do with the fact that it had gotten juuuuust a little chippy at the end there, with one particular guy from the other team really ticking off several of our players. (He really was a grade A d-bag).
So, from that wholly unsatisfying hockey weekend into a week full of work drama, stress (oh the life of a Chapter 11 proceeding), and germs. Yes, for the third time this winter I've come down with a cold. At least this time it seems to be a minor one. I was supposed to be off on Thursday but ended up working 6 of the more stress-filled hours I've had in my 15 years there, and was banking on the fact that when I woke up the next morning I'd feel better, and not worse. Good thing that was the case, because we had a morning game out in Westchester, NY.
GoalieHusband drove my germy ass and The Mayor to the rink, and I wasn't at all confident that I'd be able to stop much more than the most non-threatening of shots. I told the team beforehand that the game plan was "keep the puck in their zone" because not only was I sick, but I was having some kind of odd issue with my pads sticking to the ice (this later resolved itself). Bless my teammates, because they listened. I've never seen a better forechecking game than ours today. The puck was rarely in our zone at all, and when it was the D was sound. I didn't count shots but I couldn't have seen more than 15. The lone goal against came on a breakaway that I normally would have had in my sleep. I challenged, my angle was fine, but I just didn't react, and she beat me blocker side. Thankfully, we tied it up in the next period and the score stood at 1-1, even through the OT period they allotted us. With plenty of time left, they allowed us to go to a shootout. My teammates had to be a little nervous about that, knowing I was sick, and that I'd allowed that crappy breakaway goal. But by then I had my head on straight and I knew I could do my part.
We scored first, then their first shooter came in, went to the left, and shot towards the right. She thought she had me, too, until I flicked out my right leg like a snake's tongue and kicked her puck to the corner. Their goalie made the save on our next shooter, and then I got a freebie when their shooter completely flubbed it and didn't even get a shot off. Again our next shooter was denied, and their next one came at me pretty straight, but made a series of odd moves with her stick blade, above the puck. Really? Did she think I'd bite on that? SAVE.
That win felt good, because I'd felt pretty crappy about giving up that goal, after all that time spent in the other team's end. I've spent most of the rest of the day chilling (and fielding panicked calls from work), and I feel a million times better tonight than I did last night. Which is good, because we have to do it all over again tomorrow morning. We'll be in Bridgewater for our final game of the season. I can not believe that it is March freakin' 16th, and our season is over tomorrow. This season absolutely FLEW by.
No matter, though, because we have TOURNAMENT SEASON right around the corner, and plenty of Cougar(hawk)s games left to play. One on Monday and one on Tuesday, to be exact. And then our final practice on Wednesday. So that's five times on the ice in 6 days. I think I can live with that.
BOO YAH.
Friday, March 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did you ever figure out what was causing your pads to stick to the ice?
Yooper
Nope. It was totally weird.
Post a Comment