I've been accused of being a goalie whore, and it's really not that far from the mark. I instinctively side with the goalie in a given situation, and I'll sub for pretty much anyone who needs a keeper. (Pretty much- there are certain teams I will never ever play for). But I never expected to be playing against my own team- or rather, one of my own teams. This came about as a result of a miscommunication at best - at worst, I was tricked into it. But let's leave the jury out on that one.
I received an email last weekend from another team in the league the White and Blue QCats both play in. (Remember, White is the "middle" team, the team I've been splitting games with Bacardi for. Blue is the highest level.) The email went like this: "Hi, I'm Jane Doe from X-Team Blue, and we need a sub for our game against QCats Blue next weekend. Since it's your home rink, would you be willing to play?" I actually kind of laughed to myself. Why not, I thought, I've played against the Blue team twice already this season. It's not like they're "my" team per se. So I told them I would do it. And then I posted on FB about how hahaha isn't it weird that I'm playing against Blue again this weekend. Major confusion ensued.
White teammates posted saying they were playing this weekend and I must be playing against them. I insisted that it was a Blue game, as that was what the woman who emailed me said it was. But I looked at the schedule and yes, it was one of those cross-division games, where X-Team Blue was playing QCats White. I went into full panic mode. How could I possibly play against my own team??? Yet how could I go back on my word of saying I would sub? I frantically emailed the QCat Blue goalie to see if she could fill in for me (she can't). Then I texted the coach and the Captain of White and explained what was going on. The response, in essence, was don't worry about it, it doesn't count for us because it's a Blue team, and they're the only team in the league that beat OUR Blue team, so we don't expect to get many shots on you anyway. It'll be fun. Uhhhh... ok. Well I'm not sure about "fun" but at least my loyalty issues were allayed. Gionta182 did offer the solution of her taking my place and playing in net and letting in a bunch of goals, but I couldn't go for that. I think of myself as a pretty honorable person. If X-Team was purposely trying to mislead me, that's on them. I'm not going to be a jerk back and replace myself with a skater, or play like crap on purpose in return. Besides, it could have been an innocent error. (Ha.)
Honestly I half expect to get there and find that they rostered a different goalie to sub, because although I had emailed explaining the situation, and saying I was trying to find someone else to play for them, but then emailed back saying, it's ok, put me on the roster, they responded to that email with "Just tell us what name to put down". Erm. I just said me. So I replied again telling them to put me down. I never got a response to that second email, so who knows. It's not a big deal because it's my home rink, and since it's a Saturday night I'd probably be going anyway to watch.
It should be interesting to see how this unfolds. Maybe @hkygrl12 will score on me (again). Maybe I'll be as bored as @gionta182 predicts. At least I'll be on the ice. Too bad I don't have a USA jersey to wear. Gotta change that....
Saturday, January 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment