Oddly enough, not long after I witnessed the women's ice team in action, a newcomer to the outdoor rink mentioned to me that a local indoor roller rink had a women's team, and they were looking for a goalie. I was apprehensive, but he said based on what he'd seen of my play, I'd fit right in, skill-level wise. It took me a few weeks to get used to the idea, but Goalie Husband and I finally went on a scouting mission one Sunday evening.
I realized right away that the newcomer was right- it looked like I could handle the pace and skill with no problem. In fact the game looked quite a bit slower than what I'd gotten used to on the outdoor rink. The goalies that night were both guys, filling in. Despite Goalie Husband trying to convince me to go talk to the women after their game, I was too nervous, and we left without talking to anyone.
We went back the next week, however. Again I watched from the sidelines, and what I saw confirmed what I'd thought last week; that it would be a good fit for me. Somehow I summoned up enough nerve to go talk to the women in the locker room after the game. I was so nervous that I hardly remember the conversation, but they seemed nice, and the de-facto leader seemed glad to have another goalie. I gave her my information and left the rink ecstatic. I had pushed through my nervousness to take the next step in my very young "career"; playing for some kind of (albeit very loosely) organized team.
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment