Thursday, November 22, 2007

Talk goalie to me

A few issues ago, Goalie's World magazine had a feature on Dwayne Roloson. Their features always analyze the goalie's style by taking pages from his "playbook", i.e. showing frame by frame what he's good at and how he does it. One of the things they focused on with "Roli" was what they called a "crest save", and explained that he is one of the few goalies who does it, and does it well. (Basically, it's lining yourself up to take the puck right in the crest on the chest of your jersey, allowing you to trap it there with your glove, or by crunching your body down).

Being the incredibly immature person I am when it comes to what I find humorous, I fell into a fit of giggles at hearing the announcer during an Oilers game describe such a save by saying "...and a save by Roloson. You know, he just loves to take it right in the oil." I thought no one could top that. Well, tonight, the broadcasters on Rogers Sportsnet did just that in calling the Blackhawks / Flames game. A Hawk walked in on Kiprusoff and was summarily stuffed; apparently by just such a "crest save" (I was listening, not watching). The following words actually left the announcer's mouth:

"...and there's Kiprusoff, taking it right in the flaming C and holding on..."

Damn good thing the Flames aren't in Atlanta anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right to the flaming C .. you usually have to pay extra for that..

Anonymous said...

Do you think the announcers pause before these things come out of their mouths, or do they just barrel forward? I thought only Jason and Dennis said things like this!