Oh wait... I do. But in the gym, eh who cares. People already look at me funny for my bright fuschia Vibram "Five-Fingers" shoes. And I'm sure the myofascial release I've been doing on the foam rollers looks really funny to the people on the treadmills right next to the mats. (I've decided though, that doing the groin muscles is just way too awkward and I won't do those in public). So hey, why not add to the spectacle by doing butterfly slides across the floor.
I had a brainstorm while thinking about making my push stronger. I can't take all the credit, @revcon had a video with something similar, so that's what inspired me. I figured hey, why not kneel on one knee, and put a slide plate under the other foot, and push that leg out and back, to build up the muscle that does that on the ice. Also I can practice bringing my foot close in to my leg each time. It was pretty cool, but I think I'd get more out of it if I could somehow put a weight on the slide plate, but I don't think that will work. I have ankle weights at home, I think I'll try those.
And then I went... heeeyyyyyy waitaminnit! If I put another slide plate under my foot, I can push to the side with my other leg! Just like a butterfly slide! I did a few to each side, and I think that is definitely something I'm going to add to my list of exercises to do. I really should hold my hands in glove/stick position when I do this (maybe with dumbells?). But come on that would look REALLY weird.
(This post brought to you by the fact that my office has no a/c and it's 90* out already, so I flat out refuse to work. I'd leave but I have to wait for the building guy to get here and figure out what the problem is. Woo hoo Monday!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awesome! For resistance, what if you used a band somehow rather than weights?
There is something Maria did in a video, with a band, that I want to try. But the only bands I can find at the gym are just long pieces, not a circle like I would need. I guess I could just tie the ends together? And that exercise would actually help with the shuffles, so maybe I better figure that one out.
Oh yeah, just tie 'em up, or if they're the kind with handles, you can stick one handle through the other to make a loop.
Post a Comment