I love my team, but it really seems like it's starting to dissolve and that really, truly sucks. Big hairy ones. Last night we had 8 skaters. While this was an all-time low it's certainly not far off from our typical 9 or 10 guys. And yet every week the other bench is full. It's summer. People are on vacation, people have families and commitments, shit happens (injury/illness). But all that stuff affects other teams too, no? So why is it we're the only team in the league icing 9 guys every week? It's frustrating as hell.
So yeah, we lost last night, but we lost 6-4 with only 8 skaters against a crammed full bench on the other side. That's not too damn shabby. I really felt for the guys too, they were absolutely winded. At the final buzzer one guy just sank down to the ice at the goal line. I guess it's because of their tremendous effort that I feel like I didn't really pull my weight. I was playing too deep (apparently- two shots in a row went right over my stick-side shoulder) and twice I wasn't quick enough to cover a weird bounce.
On the plus side, I had two really good breakaway saves... but that doesn't really seem to offer much consolation. I wish I had done more.
But since I don't want to be a complete cranky brooding goalie, I'll at least include some humor from the locker room. First off- you know you're old when one of your teammates misses the game because of prom weekend. Some of the guys actually thought Senator was joking when he ran through the list of who wouldn't be there, and said The Kid was out because of prom. I still don't know why that kid puts up with us. It's gotta at least be mildly entertaining.
And thank god I'm already married because I'm fairly sure that in some countries I'd be married to OysterBoy at this moment. (So named because of one unfortunately unforgettable incident where he'd bragged that he'd eaten a bucket of oysters that day... and promptly puked them up in the locker room after the game). I was working on unbuckling my pads when I felt something land on my foot. I looked up and saw OysterBoy's jock. I could tell he didn't throw it at me intentionally by the way he quickly grabbed it and shoved it into his bag while I laughed my ass off.
I guess that's why this team rules. Even if we lose, I have fun being around them, dick jokes and all.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is a great locker room. Don't let a minor downturn in turnout get to you. I can't imagine what playing with only 8 skaters would be like right now, but hopefully that will be our season/team low ever.
Yeah but like I said, this was definitely the least we've had, but it's a common occurrence to only have 9. Whatever, maybe its the summer... who knows.
Post a Comment