Thursday, June 10, 2010

LOOK AT MAH BELLY!

You know how you'd expect a friend to let you know if you had a piece of spinach stuck in your teeth? Well I'm a little embarassed today because I realized for the last few weeks I've been skating around with spinach in my teeth and no one told me. See, a month or so ago the Hawks got our spiffy new jerseys. They're really good quality, and they look pretty damn sharp. See? Here comes trouble...


The problem with mine was, since it was goalie-cut, it was way too long and came down past the tops of my pads. No problem, right? I sew. Easy as pie.

Except I forgot that whole "measure twice cut once" rule. A smart person would have put the jersey on their chest protector and figured out from there how much to cut off. Instead I just thought, eh 4" sounds about right. Snip snip snip. After a small battle with my sewing machine, it was hemmed. Ta da! Yeah. Too bad when I actually put it on with all my gear it was way too short, but still being very wide and drapey, the way it hung made it look like the goalie equivalent of a belly shirt.

I thought maybe it wasn't that noticeable. I asked a teammate or two.. "is this too short?" ... I guess not wanting to offend me they said no. Ok people. You've known me for like 4 years. You don't know by now to give it to me straight and not sugar-coat it? It's ok though, them wanting to spare my feelings is kind of touching. I've been playing with it like that for about a month, and I don't know why but last night I just realized how absolutely ridiculous I look and that maybe I should cough up the cash and get a new one. I emailed Senator to ask him about it, and it turns out he had just been talking to his wife about this very topic last night. (His wife, who is also a very close friend of mine. Ha. Tell me there's not a mind-meld going on there!)

Oh boy. Guess I was looking pretty silly out there. I'm not sure why it took me a month to figure it out but I'm glad I did. There's really no need for a goalie in a half-jersey. (Actually. I could think of a few that I wouldn't mind seeing....) It's probably nowhere near as bad as I'm making it sound (I hope), but you can bet your ass I'll be sporting a simple practice jersey until the new one comes in.


*Full credit to #14 for the photo. On the IR for 100 days with a broken ankle, he'll be hitting the ice with us again this weekend. Welcome back!

11 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Ha! Man, we've all done something goofy like that though, right? My team is getting new jerseys in a few weeks. I'll take your experience into consideration. Though I've never had a goalie jersey too big for me (I wear Aeros practice jerseys that the players wore now). Just don't like the shorter sleeves on those cheap practice jerseys. Floppin' all around. Hate that.

maalivahti said...

I hate the floppy sleeves too. But yeah every single goalie cut jersey (with the exception of 1) has been ridiculously large. I'm not sure why, 'cause I'm not overly short, 5'7". The only one that fits me right is the one I got from the KHL. You can order the size you need and THEN specify you want it cut in a goalie style. Them Russians is pretty smart.

#14 said...

It took years and millions of dollars for NASA to figure out how to create a pen that could be used in space. Cosmonauts just used a pencil. ;)

I think the issue is that goalies never seem to stand up straight while playing, so the jersey probably looked longer during games.

That said, by your own admission, goalies are "unique" so we might just thought it was exactly how your goalie brain wanted it to look.

:)

#14 said...

Oh, and -
1. Thanks :) Can't wait to get back.
2. Glad my photos have been of use to y'all. If I can't be out there, its nice to assist the team in other ways.

maalivahti said...

Well, good to know that it probably wasn't as noticable as I thought. Unless you're still just trying to be nice and spare my feelings. :P

Anonymous said...

this is awesome, everytime i get ready to do something, you, msconduct, or JB always post something similar.
I needed to sharpen my skates, and JB posted his "skate sharpening and you" (which msconduct gave her goalie experience to)
now i need another sweater, and BAM! you post about how they wear...
(channeling my inner cartman) I love you guys

moose

maalivahti said...

Wait, I'm missing out on goalie goodness? Who is JB? And Moose, I don't think you'll have the same problem I do with jerseys.... just a hunch. Unless you're 5'7" and built like a girl.

Ms. Conduct said...

JB=Justin Bourne

maalivahti said...

Uh yeah..... I'm a dumbass. LOL. I was thinking this was a goalie person that I was missing out on, that's why I didn't think of him. I follow him. :)

Anonymous said...

i may not have the same issues with jerseys like you, but try finding XXXL that are long enough. Evidently most 3X guys are 5'10 and 350 pounds. It sucks being 6'4 and NOT signed professionally to have minions make my jerseys fit.
LOL

Moose

maalivahti said...

Oh! Well then send it on out here I'll sew on the extra 4" I cut off my jersey. LOL