Thursday, June 3, 2010

So yeah, about those pants...

Funny thing about sizing charts on hockey retailer's sites. They're not meant for chicks. Since everything else in the universe in a senior size is too big for me, I figured intermediate would be a no-brainer. I looked at the size chart, which went solely by waist measurement, and that lil bugger said I should buy a size small. In intermediate. I wasn't too sure about that but hey, I'm sick of swimming in my gear. So int-small I ordered.

Annnnnd then I opened up the box. The much anticipated box, I might add. I was pretty excited about these pants. (Yes, it's pretty easy to please me. Buy me gear. Or beer, that works too, and it rhymes.) So yeah I open up this box and.... inside is a teeny tiny itty bitty pair of goalie pants. Like, I had to look at the tag on the inside to make sure they didn't send me a junior small. I really think these pants would fit no one bigger than an 8 year old boy. I should have known. If you have a 27" waist you must also have very short legs, narrow hips and no butt.

I'm not really complaining about the size chart. I understand that 98.55735% of the people who buy gear are males. And fortunately, Goalie Monkey's customer service pretty much rocks. I emailed them, explained my problem, and asked if they had any other measurements to go by on the pants other than waist size. I figured I'd just exchange them for a senior small and hope those weren't too big. But I got back a really nice long email from the head of customer service, explaining about size charts being based on male measurements, and the differences in females' bodies (um, thanks. i have one of those. i know what it's like) and asked me a bunch of questions and said he'll work with me to find a pair that fit. Figures, pants are apparently one of the things you need most to try on to get a good fit. Add having a girlish figure to that equation and no wonder I ended up with the completely wrong size.

And yes, it's this dude's job to make a sale. But he could have just written back and said "Yeah try a senior small. Here's how to exchange them." But he didn't. So, hopefully, even if it takes a little time, I will a nice snug protective pair of pants in my future. I don't even care what color they are. Well, as long as they're not pink. There's no pink on this goalie, ever. (Ok maybe my "fun panties" had some pink in them but shhhhh...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had to go to three different shops here in anchorage, alaska to find mine. And then i was shocked at how huge the pants were. I cant imagine trying to order some and praying they fit. Glad to see goaliemonkey is working with you. I got my skates and mask from them and have been completely satisfied. Seems they actually care about goalies, and not just Dbags trying to soak ya for money.
Moose

#14 said...

Wait, so I really have to replace your pink stick on the NHL2010 for my XBOX? ;)

maalivahti said...

Moose- yeah i talked to the guy on the phone and he was really helpful and didn't try to sell me stuff I didn't need (like pro level equipment)

#14- i have a pink stick on XBOX? not anymore, since it's up your ass now. :P