Friday, August 13, 2010

The big C team mystery

People... really, this is not a big deal. I feel like a dope even writing it now, it's such a non-issue. I honestly did just think that last post was too long and that I'd lost most of you by then anyway, so didn't want to add another paragraph.

The tournament was a mixed C/D level, so we had a few C players on our team. After the last game, when most people had left but a few of us hard-core idiots were still in the stuffy locker room drinking beer and eating cheez-doodles, one of the C team women was talking to me about the tournament in general, and about my play. She was extremely complimentary (which made me all shy and uncomfortable), and she said she wanted to roster me on the C team next season. Initially I said no, not understanding what she meant, because I know they have a goalie already, and the D team doesn't. And I'm not going off and leaving the D team with no one. But she just meant she wanted to put me on the roster in case something happened to their regular goalie, just as an insurance policy. (Apparently the rules are stricter in their league and you can't sub someone who's not on your roster.)

See? I told you: no big deal. Except if you know me you know one of the things I do best is worry about stuff and make it a bigger deal than it is. So part of me is worried about the prospect of possibly having to go do an away weekend (their away games are mostly out of state), and what if I play like crap.

So I'll just tell that part of my brain to shut the hell up, and take it as a compliment that they want to roster me as a backup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats awesome! you should be proud!
anytime a higher league wants to roster ya, and let ya be the goalie to be named later, its a good thing!

#14 said...

Very cool news. I'm glad you're just enjoying the compliment and not worrying about a possible future that may never happen. Think of good futures. Like in October when we're back to playing league hockey! :)