Sunday, August 15, 2010

Real Life

For those of us playing in beer leagues or at drop-ins, hockey is a hobby but also an escape. For the most part I don't know what the other guys do for a living, unless it's part of their nickname. We've got one guy who is a doctor and is known simply as "Doc". (Hockey players are so creative). I honestly don't even know what his name is- everyone just calls him Doc.

Yesterday while I was taking my turn hanging out on the bench, the ringleader of these open hockey sessions (who talks a blue streak and is pretty entertaining) was trying to pump up our team, since we kept losing. (We play to 5 goals and then re-set).

Ringleader: Alright boys, we gotta get back in this. Come on Doc, go at it like it's cataract surgery!

Random Guy: He's an eye doctor?

Ringleader: I have no clue. Hey doc! What kind of doctor are you?

Doc: Oncologist. Pediatric oncology. (Doc jumps onto the ice for his shift)

{silence}

Ringleader: Damn. There's nothing funny about that.

Me: No... there's not.

Ringleader: Yeah that just took the wind out of my comedic sails. Nothing I can say to that.


So hats off to you, Doc. If anyone needs an escape, for sure it's you.

2 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Heavy. Good on him for finding a stress release. I'm sure he needs it.

#14 said...

Jeez. Way to bring everyone down, Doc. Couldn't he have said, I dunno, "Plastic surgeon. Tell your wife to call me." or something?

Yeesh, paging Doctor Downer...

(And y'know, God bless the work he does...)