Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kind of adorable, yet kind of creepy

My apologies for lack of posts. No hockey to speak of, plus vacation, plus coming back and getting sick right off the bat means I'm totally out of the loop. I did manage to get to the gym on Monday morning though, before the cold germs took over. (I thought maybe I'd sweat them out. Didn't really work so well, they're determined little bastards.) There are a handful of little old geezers who are at the gym every morning when I'm there. They're kind of cute. Walking around with their canes, using the weight machines, talking the ears off of anyone who will listen. I generally just smile at them as I walk by, since I am the type of gym patron known as "Ipod Chick". I'm there to work out, not to socialize.

Monday, though, I had the incredibly strange, yet somewhat hilarious experience of two of the geezers trying to pick me up. At the same time. I think they have an act they do at the old age home that has all the old biddies roaring. Not sure why they thought it would work on me though. I was going through my lower body circuit and got to the last machine (yeah yeah, I know, weight machines are evil. I was taking it easy just coming back from vacation) when the first Geezer caught my attention.

Geezer 1: Can I ask you something?

(Oh boy. Here it comes, he's going to ask about my weird shoes or about my tattoo).

Me (turning off my ipod): Sure...

Geezer 1: Well, me and my buddy [indicates Geezer 2] were wondering something. And we thought who better to ask than a woman, right? Since women have all the answers.

Geezer 2: Or at least ya act like ya do! har har

Me (laughing politely): Oh really? Oh, ok sure, go ahead.

Geezer 1: Well when you get to our age you need to take all kinds of pills for all kinds of stuff...

(oh god please do not let this be going where i think its going)

...and well my friend over here has a really bad stomach infection...

(ew... wtf?)

Geezer 2: Yeah! I have this horrible infection in my stomach, and the doctor gave me antibiotics for it. So I took them, but I had this really bad headache at the base of my skull, and I felt all feverish. (looks at me expectantly...)

Me: Um... so you want to know why you had a headache?

Geezer 2: Yeah!

Me: Well... did you call the doctor who gave you the pills?

Geezer 2: No... this was over the weekend. I'm going to call him later this morning.

Me: Well I don't really know. I know sometimes antibiotics can cause stomach upset. But I've never heard of a headache.

Geezer 1: See! She did know something!

And now it gets really weird... I'm not sure where this came from but Geezer 1 went on a tangent about cooking.

Geezer 1: Are you married?

Me: Yes

Geezer 1: Well I bet when you make dinner, you don't really give your husband a choice do you? Its either "yes" or "no", right?

Me: Well, he pretty much eats anything, he's pretty easy going.

Geezer 1: Oh!!! Well you trained him good!

Me: Not really....

Geezer 2: Hey! Is your husband's nickname 'Lucky'?

Me: No....

Geezer 2: Well it should be, if he's married to you!

Me (nervous laughter)

Geezer 2: Ok now you can pay me for being so nice to you!

Me: What? I don't have any money (more nervous laughter)

Geezer 2: Ah, that's ok your smile is good enough.


Ok.... what the hell just happened there?!?! I seriously wasn't sure whether to be flattered or freaked out. These dudes are there ALL the time too. I guess I'm going to have to be nice and chit-chat with them. Or, just completley avoid them. What the hell, I could make their week if I winked at them, right? ;)

5 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

I think the brain-to-mouth filter disintegrates when you get old. LOL That was one bizarre conversation.

Unknown said...

Just be flattered! These guys aren't being pervy, they just fancy a chat. Bless their cottons.

Anonymous said...

that really was off. They didnt seem to want to make ya into a sammich, yet they didnt have a point either.
Guess ya have to be glad they didnt say something like "wanna come check out my brand new beta machine, it has movies!" or "wanna come back to our place and try out the new comfy mattress?" or something icky.
but other then that, weird. LOL
moose

#14 said...

I think I'm neither on the side of adorable nor creepy. I think it was just a pair of guys who were bored chatting up a girl. Older women after younger men are "cougars" ...is there a name for older men after younger women, or is that just called "normal"? :)

maalivahti said...

#14 if that conversation made sense to you I'm kind of scared. LOL.