The Hawks finished the season 1-11, with another balls-out game. We lost 5-2 (lowest goals against of the season! w00t!!!), but we really played hard and I don't think they were expecting it. This was against the team I've been referring to as the d-bag team, however they actually weren't d-bags that night. In fact one could have really put me out of commission for a while, but he had the decency to hold up and not come crashing down on me while I was in a defenseless position. Maybe they respect us a little more, for stepping it up the way we did. Maybe their major d-bags just weren't there that night.
Since the game was right after practice, we had fans again. Yay! Once again @gionta182 brought her GIANT sign and vuvuzela, and several of the gals stuck around for the first period. GoalieHusband earned himself a nickname, without even knowing it. He recently purchased plastic guards to go over the tops of his skates, to protect his instep and ankle from blocking shots (which he does quite a lot of). They're clear plastic though, and apparently they reflect the light and from the bleachers it looks like he's got glitter on his skates. He's been dubbed "Coach Sparkle" by @gionta182 and another d-girl. It's already stuck; even one of the Hawks referred to him that way during a post-game email exchange we had. Fan-freakin-tastic. He hasn't been able to be at practice for a few months because of his work schedule, but hopefully will be back in January. The ones who came up with the nickname realize they're going to get skated to death when he comes back to practices... but I think they also think it's worth it.
So, the Hawks' season is over, with the exception of one "playoff" game tomorrow night. Hey, when there are 4 teams in the league, EVERYONE makes the playoffs. Even teams with a 1-11 record. I'm not sure how long the break is before the winter season starts, and it looks like we'll just squeak by roster-wise and be able to play again. I think the plan is to give it one more season and see if we can't get our shit together. Hopefully we can. I don't want to see the team go separate ways.
Personally, I think we should switch back to our blue jerseys. There's another team coming into the league next season and they're- you guessed it - blue. So between them, Original Blue Guys, and We're Blue But We're Supposed To Be Green Guys, that's three blue teams right there. I say we add ours to the mix and really confuse the hell out of the refs. Hey if you can't win, at least make it fun right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment