Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blame Twitter

I'm noticing a trend. Twitter is making me a terrible blogger. I vent my spleen in short bursts there, and then never come here and write out the whole story. Since my last post, I've played a Hawks game (first back on the ice with them!), a game of open hockey, and attempted to play another... but haven't written squat about any of it. That trend has to change, especially with the tournament coming up. We're bringing the netbook, and I definitely have to write at least a few times while we're gone, because there's no way I'm going to be able to cram 5 days of hockey and vacation into one post when I get back. Well hey, there's always the @Geffman47 twitlonger approach. Haha.

The Hawks game was a re-match against the team that beat us for the championship. We won 9-6. I'm happy about the win, but not happy about the goal total. A couple were impossible screens, one shouldn't have counted at all but the ref just wanted to go home, and the rest... well I should have had those. At no time were we trailing, though. We went up 2-0 in the first, but they came back, and then we just traded goals from there. It felt great to get that win, but like I said I wasn't thrilled with my play.

GoalieHusband had a rare weekday off of work, so I took 2 hours of personal time myself and we hit open hockey Wednesday morning. I am so spoiled by morning open hockey at that rink. General lack of douchebags, great skill level and pace, and I just seem to really do well there. This time I really killed it. There was one hot-shot who had to do everything himself, but he was easy to handle, since with a guy like that you never have to worry about the pass. There was another guy who was really good, and got a few breakaways on me on my first shift, but I stoned him every time. Man that felt good.

We intended to play some more open hockey this weekend, but the rink that has stood us up like a lousy girlfriend several times screwed us over again. Shame on us for going back after a few years expecting anything different. Here's a hint, South Mountain Arena: if you have ADULT OPEN HOCKEY listed on your website, don't allow 10-12 yr olds to sign in, and don't tell parents it's ok if they just skate around on the ice with them. At least they were good enough to give us our money back. But no way in hell will we ever be going there again for "open hockey".

At this point though, I have knots in my stomach already for the upcoming trip to Tampa. But before I get to that hurdle, we have a Hawks game. Tuesday night. Against the Drunk Punks. I can't wait. Hell, my gear's already packed, since I never used it last night. Perfect way to start a hockey vacation; with a hockey game.

Quick reader poll: should I bring my Khabibulin Lightning jersey on the trip? I was going to bring my Ranger jersey, to show my colors, but since they're out of it now... I'm thinking maybe I'll show some local support while I'm down there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not both?

Anonymous said...

ditch the blue :)

-gionta182

#14 said...

Glad your first game back gave you a W, Goalie. Obviously if I was there, I would have blocked at least 4 of those goals. ;)