Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Practice, Competition, Body Language, and Muscle Memory

It's almost tourney time again, folks! And since we're hosting this one, I'm extra excited. Hopefully it won't rain on our BBQ on Saturday. That would suck. We had two extra ice slots that we didn't use during the season, so we're using them for practices to get ready. We had one last week, and have one again tonight. Last week's practice went well; I was suitably wiped afterwards. Gionta182 had a couple of nice goals on me, but I got some good saves on her too. I have to be more patient on breakaways. I also had trouble with another player, who kept putting it past me glove side. *Mental note: don't keep going down so early dammit.

We scrimmaged for a bit at the end of practice, and after about 10 minutes I could see the girls were getting really gassed, so I suggested a shootout. (That's when Gionta182 got one of her nice ones. Dammit.) We ran through several shooters, and then the zamboni doors opened and people started heading off the ice. I was following suit when I heard someone yell "GOALIE!" I looked up and there at the red line with the pucks was "Slick". I cracked a big grin.

Slick and I have a fun little competition going. I'm not even sure she realizes it, but being the competitor she is, I think she probably does. She plays for the C team, and is very, very good. She's the kind of forward I actually watch and admire, the way she makes it look so effortless. Quite some time ago, Hkygrl12's men's team scrimmaged against the C team and invited me to play. It was during that game that I stopped her several times (much to my surprise actually), and kept her off the scoreboard. We've run into each other once or twice since then and it's always fun to see if I can match up to her level. For some reason, I usually do. It's my own little private feather in my cap. (Not so private anymore- HI INTERNET!!!) All of that as lead-up to explain why I kicked into "bring it!" gear when looked up and saw that it was her at the red line, challenging me. She tried some fancy Marty St. Louis move on me, and I stopped her, just barely. The puck bounced and went under my pad and for a minute I thought it went in, but it didn't. Sweet.

I got another chance last night when the Hawks faced the MedWings, who she's played for a few times. Unfortunately she scored on me once (a sweet little back door tap-in from the top of the crease off a quick pass from just above the goal line... grrrr), but I did get a really nice save on her in the 3rd period. It was a high point to an otherwise somewhat frustrating game. We lost 7-6, but in the "silver lining" department, we battled back from a 7-2 deficit to get there.

I have one issue that's kind of been brewing and I had intended to handle it myself, but it didn't work out that way. I have one D-man, and now his partner is picking up the habit, who slams his stick after every goal. Used to be just once in a while. Now it's every goal he's on the ice for. I know in my rational head that he's probably mostly pissed about a mistake he made or thinks he made, but that is really poor sportsmanship and sends the wrong message to me, the team, and the other team quite frankly. It's the reason I never, ever, bang my stick, no matter how frustrated I am with myself about a goal. (I'll swear a blue streak, but I never bang my stick). So, I planned to mention something to him about it, off the ice, just in passing, not making a big deal about it. But last night after four goals in the first period, and three in the second, I was really starting to heat up. He was on the ice for a good amount of them and slammed his stick every single time. On the final goal, he wasn't out there, but GoalieHusband was, and was right next to me, and I was so worked up he got an earful about it. I think it went something like "why does my fucking D have to fucking bang their fucking stick every fucking goddamn time". Not exactly how I had planned to address it. ;) Evidently he went to the bench and mentioned it to the guy, who said it wasn't personal at all, but hopefully the message got across. I appreciate that he did that for me, but I hope it doesn't look bad that he was "messenger boy".

But that aside... I'm feeling pretty good today, yes even after 7 goals. I felt something click. I don't know why it's taken this long, but I am finally getting my muscle memory back. I was only out for 2 months- some people miss that much time just because of stuff that needs to be done at home or with/for the kids, etc, and come back with no more than just a little rust. But in the third period, I felt a subtle shift in my muscles and my movement. I know this sounds silly, but I felt it. Hopefully GoalieBrain isn't far behind, because she's been in a coma lately. Gotta poke that bitch with a stick and wake her ass up. I have a tournament to play in, let's go, cupcake.

No comments: