I smell like a locker room, my hair is plastered to my head, and yet I'm sitting here blogging instead of taking a shower, because I just can't wipe the perma-grin off my face. Open hockey on Saturday morning was awesome. But open hockey today? Off the friggin charts. Myself included. It was Ringleader's group today, along with half the Russian Federation, and I can't figure out what it is about those guys, but they always bring my game way up. It's got to be something besides just their talent level and speed. There are other times that I play open hockey with guys as good and fast as they are, but it's not the same. There's something about this group that kicks the goalieness into overdrive. Maybe it's the intensity. That's the only thing I can come up with at the moment, as I sit here basking in hockey afterglow.
I did allow a few crappy goals, but thankfully they were outnumbered by my surprisingly good saves. Even a few stick-banging-hollering-on-the-bench saves. Yeah, I'll take that and keep it in my back pocket, thank you. I also got some praise from a guy who I don't think gives it out too often. He's one of the Russian guys, and "stern" just doesn't come close to describing his natural facial expression. You know that scene in Miracle, right before the game against the Soviets, when Herb Brooks passes the Soviet coach & team, and nods and says hi to them and just gets cold stares? That's how this guy reads. He plays D, and takes the game very seriously, and I think he was a little pissed off with me on Saturday. I played on his end for the first 20 minutes, and either wasn't awake or wasn't warmed up, because I was pretty crappy. (Fortunately I got right into the zone after that). But today, I got not one, but two "good save"s and a tap on the pads. Whoa.
So I think I might finally be climbing out of my deep dark funk. And I apologize for all the moping lately, because I guess that doesn't make for very interesting reading. But it's honest, and this is my blog. I credit several things; the persistence to push through it, working out, and getting my ass to these open hockey sessions. Some pep talks from @winnipegmac didn't hurt either. ;) I feel good again, I feel strong, I feel confident. I'm challenging more. GoalieBrain is back. Next Hawks game is tomorrow night. Let's get us a win, boys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment