Sunday, December 30, 2007

From Russia, With Love

For Christmas, my parents gave me a jersey from the Russian team I like, goalie-cut so I can wear it when I play. This was actually a request from me, because I discovered a website where you can purchase Russian hockey jerseys and actually select any size and then select "goalie cut" as an option. I haven't seen this anywhere else- usually "goalie cut" is a size all its own and is so big two of me (with gear) can fit inside.

I was really excited for my first opportunity to wear it; open hockey this morning. It fit perfectly- no struggling to get my arms through the sleeves, and no yoga-like positions to get it over my head without getting it caught on the back of my chest protector. I don't know if it brought me luck, but I had the best time at open hockey that I've had in a really long time. I played beyond my usual ability, and the game itself was great. It was fast and high-skilled, and pretty much to a man all the guys seemed to be really laid back and very respectful. It was clear that they were there to play hockey and have a good time. I also realized toward the end of the session that I'd recovered with the correct leg every single time. (Naturally, right after that I got up on the wrong leg, but other than that, yeah, EVERY time!). Even better than that is that I realized why I was able to do that- I was following the puck with my head and shoulders, and when you lead with your head and shoulders the rest of your body follows and you get up on the right foot without even thinking about it. Funny.... just like my coach kept telling me.

There were three goalies there today, so I had to take a few turns on the bench, which allows me to bring you "Humorous Bench Comment of the Game":

D-man (just off the ice and trying to stretch out a kink in his back): I feel it right back here- in my fallopian tube.

Me (totally unable to resist): Yeah. I know how you feel.

2nd D-man: Well yeah... I guess you'd know.


I'm playing in a tournament tonight, and even though the team is mostly guys from the old roller days and they're going to wear the jerseys one of them designed and we all bought, I'm really tempted to wear that Russian jersey tonight again. We'll see. I'll bring them both. The idea of presenting as a true "team" is fun, but when you're talking about mojo.... that's another topic all together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

go with the mojo

Anonymous said...

No wonder you've been wearing the Russian jersey so much - I just thought it was part of the jersey rotation, not an actual goalie jersey that is made to fit goalie gear. Cool!

I'm trying to lead with my stick on turns now as instructed by Coach P. Turning the stick where you want to go will make sure you are ready for a pass or redirect immediately (as well as get your entire body going in the right direction).