I'm sure I have windburn on my face as I sit here typing. This afternoon I participated (if you can call it that) in the fastest hockey I have ever been a part of. I know there have been a few times in this blog alone that I've said something like this, but this blows all previous experiences out of the water. My husband and a few friends and I went to the Christmas Eve afternoon open hockey session at our rink and found ourselves in the middle of a college game. Complete with checking. The speed and footwork alone was stunning, but add in the stickhandling, the zillion mile an hour shots, and we clearly weren't even in the same hockey universe as these guys. For the first time since my first few initial outings, I let in exponentially more goals than I stopped. But I can't even feel bad about it. These were bona fide honest to goodness college hockey players from some notable schools, home on break, and they let fly.
Fortunately, they were really cool with us beginners- they gave the skaters space and they didn't play cat and mouse games with me. Not that they went easy on me. I could probably count on both hands the number of saves I made in an hour and a half, but I did very well in realizing there wasn't anything else to do but try my best. For the next half hour after the game ended, my head was still spinning. It was just insane.
Usually when I play open hockey, I'm playing with guys way above my level. But I can normally keep my head above water, and at least use it as an opportunity to learn something. This.... well it was so fast I didn't even learn anything. GoalieHusband said that we got nothing at all out of that session, but I pointed out that we did: exercise. And boy did we. He said he hasn't skated like that in a very long time, and I myself was (and still am- my eyes are barely open) completely worn out after the game. And yet I find myself considering going back later this week, even though it will likely be the same crew (or same type of crew). Our league doesn't start until mid January- there's no way I'm going to let some college kids keep me off the ice until then.
So, for the next few weeks, I better get used to the feeling of windburn and a spinning head. At least I'll be able to keep an eye on the pucks as they hit the twine behind me.
Monday, December 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I actually had a blast and aside from the exercise, I got one other thing out of today: a reminder to keep things simple. Play smart and play hard; you can do that at any level.
Sounds like you got a lot of fun out of it too.
Post a Comment