Friday, December 21, 2007

Where did the month go?

That flu really knocked me for a loop. After two weeks of complete inactivity I finally got back on the ice for a game with my team. I wasn't expecting anything grand, given how stiff and inflexible I felt. Luckily for me, I wasn't the only one not having the best game- it was a team-wide meltdown to the tune of a whopping 9-2 loss, one that was best put behind us quickly. I personally felt like I was skating through molasses and looked forward to a few open hockey sessions between then and the next game.

Unfortunately that was not to be. The germs were persistent little buggers and hung on for a while, resulting in me not playing any more hockey at all until the next week's game; the final game of the fall season. Fortunately that had a much better result. Even though I hadn't played all week, I felt in much better shape that night, and came up with some big saves. The team was back on track too, and we won 7-4 (against that other goalie that I have a competition with in my own mind. Him: 0 Me: 2. Ha.).

This morning GoalieHusband and I went to an open hockey session at our "regular" rink. We got there early, just as the on-ice private lessons were wrapping up and I saw my coach. It made me realize just how much I want to get back to the lessons, even though I'll have to wait a while yet for outside reasons. I've been frustrated and feeling like I lost all the quickness and strength I gained through the lessons, but after playing this morning, I think it'll come back pretty quickly. The good thing about the holidays is the rink added a bunch more open hockey times, so hopefully I'll be able to get my fix even though the season is over. There's talk of putting together a team for a 3 on 3 tournament, but I'm not sure that will get off the ground. I've never done anything like that before, so I'm looking forward to it if it does in fact happen.

Happy Hockeydays! ;)

No comments: