I wore the Russian jersey for the tourney, mostly because there was a skater who needed to borrow the team jersey. Holy crap did we get our asses handed to us. But we skated hard, really hard, and kept pressing, which I guess is all you can ask. I don't think I'd like to do another one though, unless it was on the full ice surface. They had the nets set up across the rink, and not only did that make it awfully crowded for 6 skaters, but it completely disoriented me in terms of where I was when I came out of the net. Over the course of the tournament I got a lot more used to that, but I still didn't really care for that format.
As for my own performance, the first game was a complete joke, as I had no idea where I was half the time and was getting used to the weird cross-ice dynamic. After that I settled down a bit and made some good saves, kept up with the pace, and I think did my part for the team. There were a few bad goals through the 5-hole but those guys had really fast releases and by the end of the night I was just gassed and didn't get down fast enough. But overall I'm pleased that I seem to have gotten my feet back under me after being sick so much and not playing. Our new season starts in about two weeks, and I can't wait. I'm hoping to play a bit of open hockey until then, to stay sharp.
Monday, December 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The first game was tough to watch, but each game after you all really seemed to get stronger. I think once the team in front of you realized they were going to have to play more towards defense, it really helped spring the offense on opportunistic plays.
Post a Comment