Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. 90 degrees. Anyone who's smart would be in a nice, cool rink with a gorgeous sheet of ice, right? Right??? I guess me and the 4 other people who showed are the only nuts who think that way. And one of them was another goalie. At first I thought, oh great 3 skaters and another goalie, this is going to suck. But it actually turned out to be quite the workout, because we set the nets up across the boards and the 3 shooters circled around and took shots on both of us and defended against each other. I honestly couldn't figure out exactly what they were doing but hey I just have to pay attention to the rubber flying at me.
And fly it did. One kid was pretty young, just graduated college. He had a wicked shot and burned me glove side more times than I want to attempt to count. But he was cool, not a jerk at all. He liked to flop down and lay on the ice during our breaks and I told him there's no napping in hockey. Haha. But the big success story (other than working harder than I would have in an actual game) was my mask. It doesn't fit as perfectly as it should but it's as close as I'm going to get without paying for a custom mask. And it's damn good. It doesn't rattle around on my face like my old one did, and I can actually feel it against my cheeks! I took a few shots to it too, and it even felt different. I guess the old one would kind of slam against my face when I took a puck to it, but this one is already on my face so I don't get that effect. (And yes, I know that's like, super dangerous. Which is why I have been hot to get a new one.) So, new mask is a win. New pants on the other hand.... not so much. But I'll bitch about that some other time.
And... brought to you by late night drinking... what's scarier than a bunch of goalies together? A bunch of goalies on a pilgrimage. That's right. Sign up here for your Goalie Road Trip. First stop: Finland. So far it's me, @TheGoalieGuild, @msconduct10, @abnmoose2, and GoalieHusband (he's an honorary goalie. he thinks like one, and would have been one if I hadn't enforced the One Goalie Per Household rule.) I'm thinking we could get into an awful lot of trouble together. Set aside the bail money now. Hey, it's a lot safer than Goalie Ghost Hunting.
Monday, May 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Goalie Road Trip? I'm SO in! Can we go to Latvia right after Finland? It's only 2 (small) countries south of Finland... I wear #32 because of a Latvian goalie, so it's sort of required.
== Nicky (@nickyrobinson)
Irbe? He's the only Latvian I can think of off the top of my head but I don't remember his number.
we are SO going to sweden as well.
KING HENRIK LUNDQVIST demands it!
moose
think of the sick stuff we can find!
Of course he does. And I'll wear my Frölunda Indians jersey just to impress him. Since he didn't notice it when I wore it right on the glass for warmups once... *sigh* Nylander did though. :)
Yes, #32! Give the lady a Turco mask!
Goalie road trip? Pssh. It will take an hour to get every mile due to all of your jinxes/traditions/whatnot. ;) "No, no, its left foot, right foot, right foot, left foot before you leave the hotel!"
Post a Comment