USA Hockey did a great job with presenting the awards after the game. Both teams lined up on the blue lines, and they introduced each player from each team. Everyone got an individual gift, in addition to the team trophy. (Ours were camel-back backpacks, and I'm not sure what the winning team received. There was a rumor it was watches. But I' not positive). There was lots of sportsmanship, as each player who was introduced and picked up her gift went down the line of the opposing team for another round of high-fives and "good game"s.
When we got back to the locker room there was a bucket of ice with two bottles of champagne waiting for us. I'm not sure if the rink left them there or if one of the coaches did, but we wasted no time in popping those corks and having ourselves a little party:
Mmmmm cheap champagne never tasted so good. :P
I have to say, even though I was disappointed at not coming in 1st, this was probably the best vacation I've had since my honeymoon. Vacation/relaxing/swimming during the day... and hockey at night? What more could you ask for? And I learned a few things as well. #1 being: KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT and don't talk to the other team. Good lord. What a dumbass. But I also learned that flying isn't really all that bad, and maybe just maybe I can do it again. There's talk of a tournament in Iceland. At least now I know it's not COMPLETELY out of the realm of possibility. And now all those trips we have yet to make to those western NHL rinks aren't as daunting either.
And in a day and a half, I'm on the road again for the next tournament. The OysterGlove is patiently waiting. I promise this time I'll be better about writing about the games closer to when they happen. I tend to forget stuff... hey come on I have goldfish-brain, remember?
No comments:
Post a Comment