Friday, December 28, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes. Ok, college students.

I miss out on some interesting conversations on the bench while I'm out there in my net the whole time. According to my husband and Senator, here are two that took place the other day when we were somehow dropped into the middle of a college hockey game.

Conversation #1
My husband overhears two other defensemen discussing the next move they're going to make when they go up ice against me.

D-man #1: Check it out, this is what I'm going to do when I get up against the goalie (describes move that would be akin to killing an ant with a nuclear bomb).

D-man #2: Dude, if you do that, you'll either get it, or you'll run her over.

My husband: Please don't run the goalie over.

D-man #1: Why not?

My husband: Because that's my wife.

D-man #2: Seriously?

My husband: Yes, that's my wife.

D-man #2: Wow.



And conversation #2, which I found infinitely more amusing. Apparently this occurred between Senator and another forward, who were on the other team.

College kid to another college kid: I think the goalie is a chick.

Senator (overhearing them): Yes, she is.

College kid: Yeah, I thought she smelled good.

Senator (laughing): Dude, you see that big defenseman on the other bench in the blue jersey? That's her husband, so don't get any ideas.

College kid (looking at my husband): Oh.


Ok.... I smell good?! That's classic. Even if my gear didn't have the obligatory hockey stink, how would this guy have any idea beyond that what I smell like? It's certainly better than being told that I stink, though. That did happen one especially blistering summer day out on the outdoor roller rink. A very unencumbered-by-gear forward skated past me and informed me that he got a good "whiff" of me any time he went by. Yeah, and if he was wearing all that gear in that heat, I'm sure he'd smell like a daisy. Which is exactly what I told him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite from roller hockey was:
Guy: What, is our goalie like 12?
Me: No, she's 31
Guy: THAT'S A GIRL??!!!

Anonymous said...

Hockey Hubby - King of the Nonchalance in the prologue. If I overheard the same conversation I would have said "You may not want to do that - lest you want everyone here signing your full body cast next Tuesday when you wake up."

Shannon said...

AWESOME defensive tactic here - smell all nice and flowery, distract the other team. Maybe smell like fresh-baked cookies?

:D