Friday, October 24, 2008

Flatter me, please

Incredibly sore legs notwithstanding, I played open hockey again today (after also playing yesterday). It's extremely frustrating to have a month-long gap in our league's schedule, but I'm doing what I can to stay on the ice. Good thing I have a ton of vacation time I can use at work for these late mornings.

Today's game was unremarkable other than the fact that it was pretty fast and we had a few guys I haven't seen. We also had four goalies. That's common for summer, but rare for this time of year. So, I had the chance to languish on the bench for a while. Now, when I sit on the bench I don't usually talk to anyone, because I don't really know too many people there. So I was off at the end of the bench, in my own world, watching the other goalie who was quite good, and trying to absorb skill and knowledge just from watching. A guy halfway down the bench banged his stick on the bench- I guess he was trying to get my attention for a while and I didn't notice. He struck up a conversation with me, asking me if I was in my own little world. I said, "Yes, Goalieland". We chatted a little, and he asked me if I went to school in the area (there's a university nearby). I laughed and said "No, but thank you". So, go me. A 34 yr old looking like a college student. This guy was obviously pre-gaming in the locker room if he thought that.

The only other thing of note is that now I am completely spoiled rotten in terms of skate sharpening. When I got to the rink I realized my skates were extremely dull and had a few nicks in them. Since my coach was just standing around shooting the breeze after his morning lesson, I asked if he would do me a favor and sharpen them. He obliged... and I swear it took him probably 20 minutes. I was standing there thinking, these are either going to be really good, or really crappy. Even Johnson was giving him a hard time about how long he was taking. Well the minute I set foot on the ice I knew it was just because he's meticulous. Wow. I can't even explain what it was about the sharpening that was so good other than it was just PERFECT. I guess it takes a goalie to sharpen goalie skates just right. Except now I'm spoiled- the guy at the pro shop doesn't come anywhere close to what he did. I might have to find a way to bribe him to do it on a regular basis. Beer will probably work...

(I just realized I mentioned beer in both paragraphs here. Obviously, I'm very much looking forward to my first of many Halloween parties tonight. And given the crap that's been going on at work, could definitely use a beer or four.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what do goalies go as for Halloween? Skaters? :)

Anonymous said...

... GHOULies?

(i'll show myself the door.)