Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's just not pretty, no matter how you slice it.

Well I'm writing this post because I feel I have to. Even though it will really really hurt to actually type out the score of our last game. The team we played against was faster and better... oh wait. Not the whole team. Just the three guys that should be (one of whom actually is) playing C level hockey, but they were on the ice for most of the game anyway. We went down 4-0 in the first period. But we put up a good fight and came back within 2... and after that we pretty much traded goals. At one point we were within one, but a goal that shouldn't have counted ended up on the scoreboard because the ref was busy trying to get a date with the scorekeeper. (I shit you not. Nowhere in my zone was there an official. He was at the scorer's table bullshitting. And a shot came in and I just stopped it and it was under my pad, yes on the line but under my pad and not OVER the line, but the other team carried on and celebrated even though I argued, and the ref eventually made his way over, asked me what the deal was, and I told him it was under my pad, not in. He took the puck and skated to center ice with it. Hey assmunch. Why ask me then?) That was the 7th goal. Yeah, I said 7th. We kept up the back-and-forth into the third period when it was 9-8 at one point... and then they just blew it open. Final score? 12-8. Goalies everywhere are cringing.

I got beat on some shots that I didn't have a chance on, the way those super fast guys blew past the D (no fault to the D- these guys had no business being in this league). But I got beat on a lot of shots I should have, and if I'd been playing open hockey regularly like I used to, would have had my timing right to stop. I committed way to early on several shots and for some reason it took me well into the 2nd period to realize I wasn't waiting them out, which I think I am normally really good at. I really, really have to get back to open hockey. I'm not sure if I can with the situation at work, but we'll see. Because my timing's all messed up.

The post-game party soothed the hurt of a double-digit goals against game though. The whole team, plus some extras and #48's wife ("Wills" in the comments - who is also a good friend of mine and bane of referees' existence) stood around in the parking lot drinking for a while. A few of the "others" headed over to a local bar, and #48, his wife, and #28 and I went over to meet up with them. I was still sulking when I got there but some good natured ribbing about looking like Charlie Brown and some more beer snapped me out of it. Much fun was had, with Wills and I attempting to play pool and losing horribly (though I think our opponents didn't really care that much because they got to watch us bend over), and later all of us loudly singing along with "Piano Man". Well. Almost all of us. #48 tried to pretend he didn't know us. Wise move on his part, really.

The night was capped off at a diner for breakfast and Goalie Husband and I didn't fall into bed until 3:30. All in all it was a good way to erase a really horrendous experience but that double-digit number still stings.

Tomorrow though, it's all in the past. We have our last game in the instructional league - our THIRD crack at the championship. And I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure we win that case of crappy beer. The "hole" thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you blogged about this and got it out of your system. No game exists now but the one in front of you. Play the best you can play. Have fun. Remember it is all about teamwork.


... AND BEAT THE @%#^ OUT OF THAT @$t% TEAM!!!


Sincerely,
The 2,000 Mile away Mr. #14

Anonymous said...

Oh God, I forgot about Piano Man! I am so embarassed...ugh.