Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mortified

I knew going in to this league that we'd be the bottom feeders at first, maybe even for the whole season. I knew we'd have some lopsided losses. But what has become painfully evident to me is that it's not the team as a whole that is below par, it's me. When games are played predominantly in the opposition's zone and you still end up with 11 goals against; that's a goaltending problem. When play comes down into your zone and you know it's invariably going to end up in the net; that's a goaltending problem.

I told my team last night to find another goalie, because I'm so embarrassed by how much of a liability I am. The guys I moved up with from the lower league, for some reason I'm not as embarrassed in front of them, but the other half of the team is a bunch of pretty good guys we know and played with here and there and asked to join the team and I feel like they think this must be some kind of joke.

I'm not really quitting the league. They were words said in anger and frustration at myself. And I wanted them to know I know I don't belong in this league. But I paid my fee and I'm going to play. I will find some way to hopefully get better and stop giving up crappy soft goals, because there were a hell of a lot of those last night. Yes, there were some due to defensive breakdowns. But the majority of the goals last night were complete shit that I should have stopped.

That's it for the pity party. We have a few weeks off now so hopefully I can get some open hockey in and try to sharpen up a little.

No comments: