Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I don't care how much yoga you do, your knee's not supposed to bend like that

Day 1 of my 3 days off. Ahhhhh. Got up early (grumble grumble) and went to open hockey. It was pretty packed, but only 1 other goalie. I wasn't sure who I'd run into on a Wednesday morning, as I usually go on Fridays, but I recognized most of the guys there. I don't know what it is lately but all the Super Awesome Guys have been showing up for open. Doesn't do a whole lot for my confidence. But I have to tell my brain to shut the f*** up and just play.

I let in a TON of goals, but come on, its not like I have much of a chance against these guys. I did actually do something right though, which I'm pretty proud of given how incredibly wrong I usually do it. Puck came down to my end and there were 2 dark team guys pursuing it and nary a white team guy in sight. I went out to get it and planned on winging it around the boards behind the net to get it away from the dark guys. Oh did I say I was going to "wing it"? On what planet do I think I can wing a puck around the boards? It moved all of about 2 feet. But I didn't give up on it, I just tried it again, even though a dark guy was closing in on me. I moved it pretty far, to a white team guy, and not only that but as the dark guy went past me I oh so casually turned my stick over and tied his up on his way by. Muahaha.

Also had a beauty of a "oh look my leg and glove are over here now" save on the douchebag who insisted on dangling and dipshitting around and basically showing me up. Dude. You're like really awesome at hockey. Do you need to fart around with the puck in front of me, just out of poke-check range and make me look like a complete ass? Is that what makes you feel good about yourself? I've been playing on ice for three whole years asshat. Congratulations. (I'm not saying take it easy on me. I HATE when people do that. But have some fucking class).

At the very end when there was about a minute left to play and my D decided they'd rather hang around the bench than be out on the ice, a guy came flying in and crashed the net. I let him get close, then went down because didn't think at that point he'd lift it, and I stopped it alright but it apparently didn't occur to him to even attempt to stop and just ran me right over. Literally landed on top of me, pushing my torso back and bending my right knee even further (was already in the butterfly) and landing hard right on top of it. I yelped. I'm not proud of it, but I yelped.

No one gave him any shit about it either, and with just borrowed time left to play until the zamboni kicked us off, I decided to pack it in. Screw that, I don't need to be out there for 3 on 0's and 4 on 1's at the ass end of the session when everyone's screwing around instead of actually playing. I was really worried about the knee because of the upcoming tournament this weekend, but now that I've iced it I can see that the pain when I bend it isn't coming from inside, it's coming from the extremely tight skin around the goose-egg that developed just above my kneecap. So I'm good.

....annnd just as I was typing that my boss called. Anyone care to place bets on how many phone calls I'll get over the next few days?

3 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

I *evil laughed* at the stick tying-up bit. Heh. Snack on that, skater!

As bad as last night was, you've got me jazzed to play again. :)

maalivahti said...

Good! When do you play next?

Ms. Conduct said...

Not until Sunday. Looking like another 3 in 3. Hoping for a light week after that. I'm starting to feel a little burned out. Due for an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" break soon.