Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vacation Days = More Hockey = Happy Goalie

Back in February I took a week's vacation at work so I could indulge in the nirvana of playing hockey every morning and watching Olympic hockey every afternoon. It didn't quite work out that way, and I had to come in to work after all. (Fortunately I was able to leave early a few days so I could still catch some Olympic games). The economic stress that everyone's feeling coupled with that disappointment just keeps adding up and after snapping at a few co-workers recently I realized I really need to make use of the vacation time I have. I have the next 3 days off, and while I'm not going anywhere, I'm really looking forward to the time off. I'll be able to hit a few open hockey sessions, and that alone will reduce the stress factor (unless I continue the trend of doing my best impression of a sieve, in which case I'll just stay grumpy and snarky).

In addition to the time spent (hopefully) relaxing, I also have a tournament coming up. I'm actually really excited about it, because not only is it my first tournament, but it is the same exact tournament I witnessed 4 years ago that transfixed me and cemented my resolve to go from roller to ice. So I'm kind of coming full circle in a way, which is pretty neat.

I never pursued playing for that team, because frankly, I never liked the idea of playing on a womens' team, thanks to the roller hockey experience. However, I did a lot of subbing for the Quarry Cats toward the end of their season this year, and I found that I really like this bunch of gals a lot. There is none of the cattiness (haha! pun!) I expected based on my prior experience, which is awesome. I'll probably be playing for them on a pretty regular basis in the future. I know for sure I'm doing three tournaments, and that this one is the first one seems to be a good omen.

So stay posted, because I'm sure the tournament will provide lots of fodder for frequent (and perhaps buzzed) updates.

No comments: