Monday, April 19, 2010

More Frustration

Another loss last night. This makes us 0-3 on the season. I didn't write about the last game but it was against a team who was "demoted" from the league above us and they'd been spanked 5-0 in their game before ours, so I guess they figured they needed to bring in an assload of ringers to make themselves feel better. We hung in there with them until the middle of the second, when a short bench and lots of penalties got the better of us. Final score was 7-2.

Last night we played the team that beat those guys 5-0 and I was expecting a thorough shellacking because I'd heard *they'd* brought in ringers too. Turns out it was just their usual team, and the game was actually pretty even skill wise. They had a guy who shouldn't really be there but then so do we. This time I felt I played pretty well. Two of the goals were on blatant blown coverages, which is really frustrating, but then I'm sure it's really frustrating for them when your goalie puts it in her own net too. (Thankfully I didn't do that last night. Much better angle on the stick.)

At any rate, yeah 2 goals were pretty impossible, but there were 2 on breakaway rushes that I should have had. I feel like if it's a breakaway, and it's just me and the other guy, I should make that save every time. And the other one was a weird bounce/fluke. So yep, that's 5 goals against. Not good, but still a hell of a lot better than 7 or 8. Would be nice to get a W soon though.

But to end on a positive note I'll bring you "Locker Room Tidbit of the Night". We have an 18 yr old on the team; his dad plays with us too, it's kind of cool. Unfortunately GoalieHusband loves to give this kid a hard time and rags on him like a younger brother. I told the kid now that he's 18 he can legally beat up GH. Anyway, after the game we'd just come back to the locker room and people were starting to peel their layers off, and one guy noticed that the kid was sitting there with his phone before he'd even taken any gear off.

Senator (that'll be his nickname here): Hey, look at Kid, he's already texting his girlfriend about his two goals.*

Guy Next to Me: He's 18. He's not texting, he's tweeting. Texting is sooooo 2009!

Indeed. So is blogging about your games probably.


*the comment was slightly different, about 1000 times more off color, so I cleaned it up a bit. the sentiment is the same.

2 comments:

#14 said...

I'm sure even Nabokov feels the way you do when it comes to breakaways. I'm also sure there's only so much he can do. (Let alone against Dan Boyle!)

Senator said...

Yeah, the actual comment was pretty crude to be sure. Silence got a bang out of it though.